FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for Projection

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Milloy
Compression for Projection
on Jan 21, 2012 at 10:45:18 pm

Hi there,

I'm a big fan of this site, and had most of my technical queries answered on previous threads. Unfortunately, I've hit a real hump this weekend and would appreciate some great advice.

I have recently secured a great new client who have trusted me to produce quality vids for their international brand.

Their most recent request , arriving Friday is for a 30 minute film of a presentation by the CEO for internal use. The problem I have is the film is going to be projected in Asia, using a laptop from one of the UK staff. I've asked for the spec of the projector.

1. Is there a fail safe resolution that I should export in compressor, to guarantee preventing any playback issues?

2. I run Qmaster on my compression but only compress up to 15 min films usually, any tips for a faster compression - I currently run an iMac 7 Quad core, 2.93Ghz with an 8Gb Ram networked with a Mac Pro Quad core running at 2.4Ghz with a 8Gb Ram. I tested a 30 min film made up of old rushes from other projects and the compression took 2 hours, I know this can't be right but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong? My 15 min film compress in well under 30 mins...

Any advice much appreciated.

Matt

Docs, Corporate and fun stuff too!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression for Projection
on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:39:47 pm

Too difficult without knowing the end system;

But if it's windows 7, h.264 will play with windows media player. I'd work at the full quality of the video - HD, whatever flavor. Let the Playback system downgradee the signal for the projector.

Yes, idea would be a dead on setting just a little smaller than the projector/laptop type - but since you can't control these, the next best bet is to go native video and downscale.

Of course, I'd absolutely send a sample for someone to test.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Matt Milloy
Re: Compression for Projection
on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:54:39 pm

Thanks Jeff,

That's great advice. I'm shooting the project on a Sony EX3 in 1080i so I'll reckon I'll cut the resolution down to below 720 to enure great playback.

Much appreciated.

Matt

Docs, Corporate and fun stuff too!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]