FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best compression for 360p video on blu ray?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Soprano
Best compression for 360p video on blu ray?
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:52:30 pm

I have 155 video clips around 99 hours that are natively 640x360 MPEG-4 Codec H.264, ACC. I tried to burn a few on a BD-RE using Toast 10 without any re-encoding from Toast and the quality wasn't as good on my big screen as when I watch the videos on the same screen from my computer using quicktime player at full screen. So what I want to know is what is the best way to re-encode these video's using apple compressor to burn on blu-ray using toast 10.

I tried using *this compressor setting which looked a lot better when I only burned a few clips with Toast 10 not re-encoding but with the resulting larger file sizes meant I could fit less on the blu ray. I let toast re-encode the 49 clips to fit on a single 50 gig BD-R DL but the resulting quality was poor.

For comparison the same 49 min clip at 640x360 was 1.08GB came out at 6.62GB when converted.

*File Extension: m2v
Estimated size: 8.1 GB/hour of source
Type: MPEG-2 video elementary stream
Usage:Blu-ray
Video Encoder
Format: M2V
Width: 1280
Height: 720
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Start timecode from source
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Field dominance: Automatic:
Selected Progressive
Average bit rate: 18 (Mbps)
2 Pass VBR enabled
Maximum bit rate: 27 (Mbps)
High quality
Best motion estimation
Closed GOP Size: 1/2 second, Structure: IBBP
DVD Studio Pro meta-data enabled

So what is the best compression for getting these videos on a blu ray and having the quality still be on par with what I see on my hard drive? I was hoping to spread the 155 video clips over three 50 gig blu rays if possible.

I also have 155 short 5 second intro clips exported from motion using pro res 4444 1920x1080 that need to go on the disk with the other clips.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best compression for 360p video on blu ray?
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:35:34 pm

A 640x360 heavily compressed source just isn't going to handle going through a round of compression going to 1280x720. I'd use H.264 rather than MPEG2 but I don't think that's going to help all that much.

You might have to look for good upconversion software.

Return to posts index

Mike Soprano
on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:01:51 pm

In terms of size can I get it any smaller so I can fit more on a disc and keep quality close to the original. The converted video I made of the source to 1280x720 doesn't look half bad compared to the original the problem is I can't fit as much as I would like on a blu ray.

What up-converting software would you recommend I use in this situation?

I just want the video to display half decent on a big screen with no artifacts. It looks fine when I watch it on my TV from my PC, I wish getting it to do the same on a disc was easier.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:32:33 pm

You can lower the data rate but that lowers the quality.
I like this bit rate calculator.

http://www.pimley.net/projects/#bitratepro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]