FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime / Compressor Frame Size Difference

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Barreto
Quicktime / Compressor Frame Size Difference
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:28:12 pm

I have a long standing issue with SD QuickTime files made in Apple Compressor and I'm wondering if any one has experience with it. When making a SD file in Compressor, I set the frame size to 720x486, NTSC CCIR 601/DV. When the file is then opened in QuickTime, it says the frame size is 640x480. A work around we've been using is to go into the Movie Properties and, under the Presentation tab, uncheck the box next to "Conform Aperture to." This then let's the movie be 720x486.

My question: Is there any way in Compressor to make the "Conform Aperture to" box be unchecked every time? It's a pain to have to uncheck that box for multiple files so we usually don't make SD files with Compressor. But it would be nice to have that option without the extra steps involved.

We're using Compressor version 3.5.

Alex Barreto
Vapor Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Quicktime / Compressor Frame Size Difference
on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:51:30 pm

Duplicate a preset you like and save it with this unchecked.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Alex Barreto
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:44:13 pm

Do you mean in Compressor or in QuickTime? I haven't found this particular setting in Compressor.

Alex Barreto
Vapor Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:00:01 pm

I'm totally wrong. I thought you were running into the preserve source aspect ratio setting in compressor (which you could save as a preset and reuse.)

I'll take it that you're downconverting from some HD footage - which probably scales better to 720x480 (than 720x486.) Me, I'd likely have it downscale and preserve the source aspect ratio (in compressor) meaning that I'd do widescreen SD with 6 lines of padding - or at least throw that switch and let compressor work it out.

I do want to check this - you're doing a downconversion in compressor to 720x486, but it only shows up in QT as 640x480 (It's likely that it's truly 720x480, just displaying square pixels). Compressor may be preserving the source aspect ratio by default.

I'd test this myself, but I'm crunching for a conference for next week....

Return to posts index

Alex Barreto
on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:09:54 pm

Actually, in this case, the file is not being down-converted. It starts out as an uncompressed 4x3 720x486 file and is then converted to ProRes. I did try the "preserve aspect ratio" setting under "Output Image Insert (Padding)" but that did not change the result. Neither did changing that setting to "4x3 1.33:1."

Alex Barreto
Vapor Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]