FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video specs for consumer film download of a feature documentary film

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khashyar Darvich
Video specs for consumer film download of a feature documentary film
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:36:16 am

Hi Everyone,

We are getting a feature documentary film (about the Dalai Lama) ready for customer downloads on a website, and were wondering what Compressor video specs and settings we should use so that the video file will be as universally playable in digital format.

I am assuming the codec should be h.264, but I am not sure of the specs and Compressor settings that we need.

The film was edited in Final Cut Pro, and we have a digital 10 bit uncompressed SD version as a Quicktime file.

We do have an HD version of the film, but will not be offering an HD downloadable version.

Also... the film's aspect ratio is 4:3, so would we need to make any adjustments to ensure that the original 4:3 aspect ratio plays with the right frame size on all computers.

Should we also consider playability on iphones and ipads when we decide on the specs?

Thank you for your help.

Khashyar
Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Video specs for consumer film download of a feature documentary film
on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:28:43 am

[Khashyar Darvich] "I am assuming the codec should be h.264,"

Yes but I'd make sure it's H.264 .mp4. Not only will that play in Quicktime but in will also play in Windows Media 12 on Windows 7. Though people on Vista or Windows XP will either need to have Quicktime 7 installed or you'd have to have a WMV for them.

[Khashyar Darvich] "Also... the film's aspect ratio is 4:3, so would we need to make any adjustments to ensure that the original 4:3 aspect ratio plays with the right frame size on all computers."

If it's 4:3 then 640x480 at around 1000kbps might be good. The actual data rate depends on the content so you might pick a scene with fast action or motion graphics and test that.

[Khashyar Darvich] "Should we also consider playability on iphones and ipads when we decide on the specs?"

I think so. It would allow for portability. You could use the Apple iPhone preset. Apple's bit rate settings tend to be a bit on the high side last I checked.

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:50:21 am

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback, Craig.

That's excellent advice about converting it to .mp4... I was going to create a Quicktime file.

Is there a link to more detailed Compressor specs for converting video for consumer download?

I just want to make sure and get it right.... I had a hard time finding detailed specs when I was searching.

I appreciate your feedback.

Khashyar

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:00:30 am

One more question...

Does MPEGStreamClip do a professional job of MP4 h.264 conversion?

Or, does Compressor produce higher quality results?

Thank you again.

Khashyar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]