FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make a WMV file....on a PC?!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Strand
How to make a WMV file....on a PC?!
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:36:10 am

I'm about to throw my Windows desktop out the window. Does Windows not allow you to create easily WMV files anymore?!?!?! I'm trying this Expression Encoder but it doesn't look like it's free and the interface is not great and it's saying 2 hours for a 2 min video?! You would think using Windows to create a WMV would be easier and faster than MPEG Streamclip with Flip4Mac. As you can tell, I'm a little frustrated by it. This encode should've been done 2 hours ago.

The desktop is running Win7 Pro Dual Core 2.6GHz, 2 gigs of RAM. It's a home PC, I just assumed using Windows would be easier and create better results than Flip4Mac, go figure.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How to make a WMV file....on a PC?!
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:54:07 am

[Eric Strand] " I'm trying this Expression Encoder but it doesn't look like it's free and the interface is not great"

Expression Encoder 4 is free to encode WMVs. It's an upgrade if you want to encode H.264 as well. I don't find the interface problematic.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:10:27 am

Thanks Craig,

Only a few seconds of my video encoded and the quality was bad. I used the Quality > High Quality preset but that was going to take 2 hours for a 2 minute video, seems excessive. I'm use to MPEG Streamclip choosing Windows Media and letting it go. Works great, takes a minute on an old PowerPC. I'm just so frustrated that this is harder to accomplish on Windows.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:24:05 am

Without you knowing what the settings are, what they do, or describing them to us it's impossible to compare. I suspect you may not know much of the above.

You really should watch the Expression Encoder tutorials.
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/EncoderPro_Resources.aspx

Older but worth reading
Best practices for WIndows Media Encoding.
http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=64909

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:35:29 am

Touche, I'll admit I don't know much about Windows Media. I plan on reading up in the next few days. I was just so surprised on how difficult it was to make the file on Windows. I mean Microsoft doesn't make it to clear that Expression Encoder has replaced Windows Media Encoder. As for the settings, it was whatever the Preset Quality > Balanced settings are. The source file was a 720 H264 8mbps file. I use the default settings in MPEG Streamclip because we only have the 50$ Flip4Mac that doesn't allow customization.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:44:04 am

I use both Flip4Mac (Studio Pro HD) and Microsoft Expression Encoder 4. One reason I Bootcamp my Macs to run Windows 7 is specifically to use MEE4. MEE4 is very deep and powerful. It's a great WMV encoder. It's actually a very powerful H.264 .mp4 encoder as well but I use Telestream Episode for that so I'm not motivated to get the paid version of MEE4. Flip4Mac Studio is doing a very fast and simple single pass encode.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:03:15 pm

I realized after I wrote my previous message that I guess my issue is that for someone looking to simply encode to WMV there isn't an obvious solution. Say like John Doe who knows nothing about video wants to create a WMV, I can't see MEE4 being his option,where as before he probably would've stumbled on Media Encoder, but I suppose that is debatable. I was looking for these options here, which I thought could be found in Windows.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:32:56 pm

[Eric Strand] " I guess my issue is that for someone looking to simply encode to WMV there isn't an obvious solution. Say like John Doe who knows nothing about video wants to create a WMV, I can't see MEE4 being his option"

But MEE4 is probably what most John Doe's are using. Think of the numbers of Windows users and the number of WMVs they're generating and what proportion of them are compression geeks. Keep in mind that people export WMV straight out of Movie Maker or PhotoStory and many consumer edit tools have WMV presets that work just fine.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:05:16 am

Great points, everything now is "Share to YouTube" "Post to Facebook""Post to Twitter" etc. Nice conversation. Thanks for the resources Craig.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Darren Edwards
on Feb 2, 2012 at 9:22:39 pm

Premiere Pro (from 1.5.1 onwards)'s internal Adobe Media Encoder was built for WMV. Can't speak for the cheaper Premiere Elements, but it might be worth a purchase if its AME is as powerful.

Darren.

http://www.youtube.com/user/darrenpce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]