FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Not Working

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh Fenton
Compressor Not Working
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:53:30 am

Hi Guys,

I've just finished editing a Film on Final Cut Pro. I filmed on the Canon 5D Mark II covnerted the footage to pro res using mpeg streamclip and then exported a Quicktime Reference Movie. I'm using Compressor to encode to mpeg 2 before moving into DVD studio pro.

I've used compressor before without issue. When I click on the information button in the batch window (letter i next to file that's meant to be transcoding it comes up with the following).

Name: Ash_Ben_Short_compressor_5
Time Elapsed: 0:22:28
Time Remaining: Unknown
Percent Complete: 0

Note the Percent Complete column after 22 minutes nothing is happening!

Any help is appreciated with this,

Regards, Hugh Fenton

http://www.fentonfilmhire.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compressor Not Working
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:56:28 am

Computer specs?
Settings you used?
Setting any Frame Controls to "Best" can slow things to a crawl especially you're doing feature length duration.

Return to posts index

Hugh Fenton
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:53:00 pm

Hi Craig,

thanks for getting back to me. I am using best settings everywhere but I've used Compressor before with these settings and not had an issue before.

I did another export last night using compressor and I think it worked which means maybe the percentage processed meter just isn't ticking over in compressor but it is still working.

Mind you the result I got out of those specs was not good enough.

I'm doing another export now but mixing a few things up i.e. making it progressive.

I still don't understand why 1920 by 1080 25p footage (Canon 5D Mark II) seems to get converted by mpeg streamclip into interlaced footage?

Hugh : )

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:12:47 am

[Hugh Fenton] " I am using best settings everywhere"

Using the Best setting always results in very slow encoding. Avoid it. Generally use Better, not Best.

It's unclear what settings you're using. You'd really need to post them in detail for me to make any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Hugh Fenton
Canon 5D footage - Mpeg Streamclip - interlacing?
on Jan 17, 2012 at 11:23:09 pm

Hi Craig,

when I was exporting from Final Cut as a reference movie and opening that in Compressor. Compressor wouldn't do anything, my file would be sitting in the batch monitor but wasn't processing.
Which is strange because I used to use this method and it worked fine.

Now what I'm doing which is working is exporting direct to Compressor.

The next thing that I don't quite understand is that at the start of this workflow before I began editing in final cut pro, when I used mpeg streamclip to convert the Canon 5D footage to Pro Res it seemed to interlace the footage, because mpeg streamclip has no progressive option it just says upper or lower field. I find this odd because Canon 5D Mark II footage is progressive?

I say this because after I'd finished my edit I needed to deinterlace the whole timeline to get a reasonable result out of compressor.

Any thoughts, Hugh : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]