FORUMS: list search recent posts

Email Attachments?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
Email Attachments?
on Jan 3, 2012 at 3:11:40 am

My client thinks she's really sophisticated because she uses her iPad2 to check email (but wow is she great with a spreadsheet, pivot tables, and such). She can only preview a 10MB email attachment, but she expects an HD quality 10 minute youtube/vimeo type video, with great audio that she can see on her iPad2.

Um...help please. I use Compressor and media encoder. Normally I simply send links to vimeo or youtube, but that won't work here. I could spend some money in order to really impress her.

Thanks!

...email attachments, pff...what is this, 1998? meh.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Email Attachments?
on Jan 5, 2012 at 3:16:50 pm

Richard -

She may know spreadsheets, but she doesn't know doodly squirt about video encoding and playback. Here's the word straight from Apple:

TV and Video

AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV support at 720p
Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
Video out support at 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

The above paragraph can be seen more clearly at:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

I've had good luck sending approval copies to my clients IPads with H.264 at 640 x 360 (bitrate is going to vary - tweak it down until you hit the magic tradeoff or the quality disappears). It's not the movies, but neither is the IPad.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Email Attachments?
on Jan 9, 2012 at 1:12:25 am

If you're limited to email, all the money isn't going to help you with a 10 min HD show.

at 320x180, you might get something under 10 megs, but not at HD.

You could put it on a dropbox account - that will stream to her iPad. But all the magic in world isn't going to get the file small enough.

If you did 320x180 at 15fps, you could do a data rate around 250k/s with h.264 for about 10 min and get it to be 10 megs - and that should play on her iPad. But it won't be HD.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]