FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Compressor settings file

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Clark
Importing Compressor settings file
on Dec 20, 2011 at 3:17:44 am

Hi all,

A helpful techie from a cable TV system sent me a special version of their Apple ProRes 422 settings, which they say make the most broadcast-ready files. They had created this special setting after doing lots of testing against their toughest in-house metrics for color and sound quality.

The settings were sent as a mystery file with no suffix -- Compressor won't open it.

Is there some way to "Import" these settings into my folder of custom settings?

If I need to drag it into a folder manually, what folder should I be looking for?

My alternative to actually using the settings file was to copy the standard Apple ProRes 422 setting in Compressor into my Custom folder, and then alter it per the notes from the tech guy. I'd much rather use the "real deal" file that he sent, than use this one I constructed myself.

Any hints?

Thanks.

I'm using Compressor 3.5.3, and FCP 7.0.3.

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14GB memory - OSX10.6.4 FCP7

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Importing Compressor settings file
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:53:34 pm

The Compressor setting should be a file with a .setting extension. These go in here:

home / Library / Application Support / Compressor

Reopen Compressor and you should see it.

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Dec 24, 2011 at 3:32:00 pm

Thanks, Mark.

I didn't realize what was wrong until I visited the Compressor folder and saw the naming convention for my other custom settings.

Apparently, the cable net sent us the right file, and the filename had the word "setting" at the end, but not ".setting" -- so Compressor wasn't recognizing it. D'Oh! (smacks forehead)

Once I added the dot, all was well. :-)

Return to posts index

Hugh Fenton
on Jan 16, 2012 at 11:56:11 pm

Hi Ann,

could you please send me a link to this preset. I currently use Mpeg Streamclip to convert Canon 5D Mark II footage into pro res and I'm not sure if I'm getting the best results out of it.

Any help is appreciated, Hugh

http://www.fentonfilmhire.com

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:48:54 am

Hugh,

Sorry, I don't have a link to the info.

Here's how I got it. I called the cable station to ask them if my files came in ok. He checked them while I waited (anxiously) on the phone. Perhaps because I was one of the few producers who cared enough about the output that I dared to ask his opinion, he emailed me an actual .setting file to add to my Compressor custom settings folder.

Seems like you are converting raw footage for editing, right? The Compressor setting the guy sent me is for output to Broadcast (specifically that particular cable affiliate), not necessarily for processing raw footage. May or may not be what you wanted.

You might try using the standard Apple ProRes 422 setting in Compressor, and see if it creates a better/gentler compression than MPEG Streamclip.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jan 17, 2012 at 5:14:39 am

My guess is that the H.264 to Apple ProRes conversion that Streamclip does will be about the same results as Compressor's. Worth a try though.

If still unsatisfied, you might look into 5D to RGB as what looks like a better alternative...

Return to posts index

Hugh Fenton
on Jan 17, 2012 at 11:26:23 pm

Thanks Mark and Anne,

I might look into 5D to RGB is a good suggestion. What's the software called that achieves that. Is it free. Has anyone else had any experience with that method.

I feel like Mpeg Streamclip is interlacing footage. Because it only has an option for upper or lower field when you convert the 5D footage to Pro Res?

Regards, Hugh

http://www.fentonfilmhire.com

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:26:05 am

[Hugh Fenton] "I might look into 5D to RGB is a good suggestion. What's the software called that achieves that. Is it free. Has anyone else had any experience with that method."

The software is available from that site in two versions. A free version which I believe only transcodes one clip at a time and a paid version ($50) from the App Store that can do batch conversions and maybe other stuff. I have not used it so I don't have any experience there.

[Hugh Fenton] "I feel like Mpeg Streamclip is interlacing footage. Because it only has an option for upper or lower field when you convert the 5D footage to Pro Res?"

To make sure Streamclip processes in only progressive frames, all you have to do is make sure you deselect the "Interlaced Scaling" checkbox in the export dialog. Once you do that, Streamclip ignores anything you have set for Upper/Lower. Also, Streamclip is a great batch processor - once you have your setting the way you like it, you can save it as an export preset and then batch transcode all of your footage easily.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]