FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preserving Source Timecode when transcoding h.264 to ProRes LT

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Griggs
Preserving Source Timecode when transcoding h.264 to ProRes LT
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:44:05 pm

I have recently discovered Digital Rebellion's QT Edit...which allows me to batch add TC to my Nikon's D7000 clips. (Nikon isn't as cool as Canon with their L&T plugin preserving TC metadata). Before now, although I could set the camera to time-of-day and batch rename with Adobe Bridge to make the name of each clip be the time-of-day, my timecode would still only start at 00:00:00.

With QT Edit, I can batch all of my clips from an event that I shoot and give them actual TC (with the "file creation" time, thus giving me time-of-day TC). However, this only seems to work on the original H.264 files. As I am working in Final Cut 7, these are obviously not editable before transcoding. If I bring the H.264 files into FCP, the TC that I generated is correct (starting TC, length of clip, etc.) So I know that QT Edit is at least working correctly.

Here's my problem....

I normally use Compressor (via droplets) to transcode my footage (usually to ProRes LT). But, for some reason, Compressor decides that it wants to alter my timecode!?!?

Example:

My clip was created (recorded) at 8/26/11 4:22 PM. The batch rename from Bridge names it "082611_162234". But, for some reason, Compressor seems to think that the TC start time is "01:08:11:07". That's not even CLOSE!

So, my question is,

Is there a way to keep Compressor from altering to the source TC? One would think that it would be completely pass-through.....

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Preserving Source Timecode when transcoding h.264 to ProRes LT
on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:39:02 am

Compressor does not preserve TC, so no there is no way of keeping it. Have you tried dragging the entire contents of the card onto your hard drive and using L&T? I mean instead of straight off the card.

MPEG Streamclip won't preserve it either.

Eric
Blog- Video Bits

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
Re: Preserving Source Timecode when transcoding h.264 to ProRes LT
on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:56:06 am

Alas, as I am using a Nikon D7000 there is no L&T ability. Canon's are cool like that because Canon was nice enough to come up with an FCP plugin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]