FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple compressor 3.5.3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Stephens
Apple compressor 3.5.3
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:17:35 pm

I need to give my clients web guy an mpeg-4 that will stream when it is played in a jw player on their web site.

My OS is Mac 10.6.8

He asked for:
Dimensions:740x416

Codec:
H.264, AAC
VBR, 2 Pass 1,000 min bit rate, 5,000 max bit rate

compressor has no such thing, but I took an h.264 lan streaming preset and modify to get h.264 codec in an mpeg-4 file. it doesn't play until completly downloaded. thats a deal killer. one program is 50 minutes long. does any one know what I need to send him?

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Apple compressor 3.5.3
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:44:36 pm

Compressor 4 has H.264 .mp4 settings. For $50 it might be time to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:55:57 pm

OK upgrading sounds like its the solution.
Too bad it doesn't work with FC7.
I tried FCx demo and I won't be upgrading to it.
FC7 and compressor have both been crashing a lot. Since Apple doesn't support them any more I may have to go to Adobe. Its only a matter of time before Final cut studio doesn't work any longer.

Thanks

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:10:20 pm

From the one FCPX beta tester I've heard from, they are very happy with where the next major release is going and will be moving their 50 seat facility to it. Obviously the paradigm shift is a matter of taste but apparently the next major release will bring it to "professional" level.

There are certainly other encoders like Telestream Episode or Squeeze that can encode H.264 .mp4 as well as the free MPEGStreamClip.

Return to posts index

Alan Stephens
on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:07:41 pm

We'll that sounds like some good news about FCX. It is rather foreign to work in but I guess I can get used to it if the upgrade it to the level of tools we have come to depend on.

Maybe I'll go ahead an get Compressor 4.
I actually got one of the mp4 presets in v 3 to work and then not the next time. I'll see what mpeg stream clip will do.
Any time line on FCX?

THX

Alan Stephens

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:44:06 pm

[Alan Stephens] "I actually got one of the mp4 presets in v 3 to work"

Those aren't H.264. They're the much older and inferior MPEG4 part 2 spec. I'd use MPEGStreamClip before using those.

[Alan Stephens] "It is rather foreign to work in but I guess I can get used to it if the upgrade it to the level of tools we have come to depend on."

He mentioned he was very happy with the Multicam implementation and apparently broadcast monitoring was working well too. It seems as though there may be improvements on the server and san front that will make viable in a facility environment. There's a lot of little workarounds one has to do now which really slows one down. Those have to be improved.

From the point of view as a compressionist, I like that I can edit H.264 .mp4 directly and although it can transcode to ProRes in the background, I haven't had to do that. There's been a few times where I've gotten from a client is the H.264 .mp4 from a server side recording of a live stream and have had to turn that around as an edit ASAP. Of course a facility level NLE needs a bit more than that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]