FORUMS: list search recent posts

MP4 video displaying 5.38 fps in properties

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Humphreys
MP4 video displaying 5.38 fps in properties
on Dec 2, 2011 at 8:13:37 pm

Part of my job is to pull 30 sec commercials from FTP sites and transcode them to conform with our on-air server. I received a spot yesterday that was an HD .mp4 file from another station and it played back fine in Quicktime and Windows Media Player, looked great and timed out to 30 sec exactly. The file was 93mb.

When I dropped it into Adobe Media Encoder to pass it through my HD on-air profile, the timecode was all funky but I rendered it out nonetheless. The resulting file was over 500mb. I couldn't figure out why. I looked in the properties of the file and noticed it was 5.38 fps instead of 29.97.

I called the other station and they re-posted it on their FTP in case the file was corrupted somehow. I downloaded again....same thing.

I dropped onto a Premiere timeline in an effort just to give it a good timecode track, but here too it was recognized as 5.38 fps. So naturally the playback from the timeline was no good.

To remedy this, I unlinked the audio and had to speed up the video clip 1113% by telling it to follow the length of the audio track, which for some reason was being interpreted correctly at 29.97 fps. This fixed the problem and I rendered out a new clip that was now exactly 30 secs and the correct frame rate.

He used Final Cut Pro to edit the spot, but that's all I know about their setup. He says that none of the other stations reported back any issues, and I've pulled spots they've produced many times and never had this issue.

Although I figured out how to fix the problem, I'd like to find out what caused this. The guy at the other station is just as curious. I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Return to posts index

William Caulfield
Re: MP4 video displaying 5.38 fps in properties
on Dec 3, 2011 at 4:20:44 pm

I see this a lot with QuickTime. We use an intermediate avs file and "assumefps(29.97)."

Can't you set the desired framerate in Adobe Encoder?

William Caulfield
Video Encoding Manager
http://metroencoding.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: MP4 video displaying 5.38 fps in properties
on Dec 4, 2011 at 1:19:05 pm

Sounds like corruption or something is wrong with his workflow -since we don't know it, we can't really figure it out. Something is either setting or corrupting the fps - and if everything else works, it could be just this one spot.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]