FORUMS: list search recent posts

PowerPoint PC/Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
PowerPoint PC/Mac
on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:16:44 pm

I try as hard as I can to stay away from PPT as it seems to be a cluster every time I get near it. I have people asking to play our video content within PPT. So I need to put together a sort of do-don't when playing video in PPT.

These are both on PC and Mac, PC OS version XP, Vista, and possibly 7.

Can Mac PowerPoint play .mov files? (h264 codec)
Why can't PC PowerPoint with Quicktime installed play these same files?

I remember there being a name length issue (12 characters or less) with PPT 2007. Is this still an issue with later versions?

I try to stay away from WMV creation on my mac as it's much slower than my hardware accelerated h264 creation. I'd love to deal exclusively with .mov delivery with h264 codec. If I can figure out how to make that work on a PC, I can help define that for the end user...I don't HAVE to cater to them (lucky me) :)

-Jason

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: PowerPoint PC/Mac
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:34:21 pm

I haven't used Powerpoint in a while but
H.264 .mp4 can be played on Mac in Quicktime and Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 (Quicktime is NOT needed).

Since WMP 12 and PPT are both Microsoft products I'd think H.264 .mp4 would be the universal solution. Sorry XP and Vista users, time to upgrade your OS.

BTW if you're on a Mac, Quicktime 7 Pro can encode H.264 .mp4 as can the new Compressor 4.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:42:45 pm

What about .m

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:04:32 pm

[Jason Brown] "What about .m"

Sorry but I have no idea what you mean here.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:57:04 pm

Sorry, sent Prematurely.

What about h264 in .mov format. I really need to figure that workflow out...im using Matrox h264 hardware acceleration and it can't do mp4, only mov.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:35:09 pm

[Jason Brown] "What about h264 in .mov format."

Although Microsoft doesn't officially list it, WMP12 should play H.264 .mov as well.

[Jason Brown] ".im using Matrox h264 hardware acceleration and it can't do mp4, only mov."
I do as well. I would test though for Windows PowerPoint compatibility though.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Dec 4, 2011 at 4:57:19 pm

Yes, it can, but there can be configuration issues on the windows end if you're using a 64 bit version of win 7 (and therefore Office 10 64 bit.) You'll need a codec pack like k-lite 64bit.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:44:14 pm

If you cannot confirm which version of Windows the user is running in my opinion the best option is wmv. Since we can never confirm what all users have we don't chance it as the backlash of poor file playback is far more painful than just giving them a wmv.

We have gotten H264 to play in Windows7/PPT 2010 but there have been issues with systems playing back from the desktop and running a signal to a projector at the same time. It can do it but we tended to get some undesirable playback with H264 that was not found with wmv 1280x720 with a data rate of 4000kbps. Perhaps faster machines will solve this but we haven't found a solution yet.

I prefer Episode for wmv compression on a Mac but you could try Flip4mac - their most expensive HD version is probably the least expensive option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]