FORUMS: list search recent posts

Various Formats Being Combined into One

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kian McKellar
Various Formats Being Combined into One
on Nov 27, 2011 at 4:27:45 pm

I'm collecting a bunch of footage for a project from a variety of formats such as web videos and footage shot on different cameras. Trying to come up with a way to put all of it in the same format to ease rendering time down the line. To basically scale it up and pillarbox it if necessary. For each clip I end up having to readjust settings in compressor to scale it up correctly to 1080 Pro Res.

What is the best way to go about this? I've considering dragging them into final cut and resizing in a timeline set to the correct format. I just feel that I must be missing something.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Various Formats Being Combined into One
on Nov 27, 2011 at 5:17:58 pm

What you do may depend on your workflow.

You can batch encode them to ProRes for example in the compression app of your choice.
You might want to keep them native size and leave scaling (or not) for when you do the various projects.

Of course if you're doing this all for a specific project with specific frame size, you can certainly scale. You'll have to make judgement call about scaling Standard Def 4:3 to 1080 regarding the use of pillarboxes vs filling the screen.

Return to posts index

William Caulfield
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:07:09 pm

This is so much a job for AVISynth :) Craig - is there anything on Mac that is equivalent.

William Caulfield
Video Encoding Manager
http://metroencoding.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:17:23 am

I guess it depends on your budget but MPEGStreamClip is free.
Compressor is part of FCS3 or $50 in the App Store.
Teleistream Episode is $495
Sorenson Squeeze is $599

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:38:37 pm

Figured it out. I didn't know what padding did but it seems pretty effective in forming video to the same format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]