FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updated compressing settings for YouTube

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Updated compressing settings for YouTube
on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:00:40 am

Hi,

I've been using a technique which converts to JPEG through compressor - straight out of FCP (XDCAM).

That method is now a couple of years old and I'm now seeing videos on YouTube which, even at full screen, produce excellent results and don't stop to buffer.

Even the likes of BBC iPlayer, 4OD and other online streaming sights offer amazing picture quality without the need to stop and buffer (on most connections).

Maybe this is outside the realms of possibility at the moment for a small production company using FCP and Compressor only?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Updated compressing settings for YouTube
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:05:32 am

The ability for youtube, BBC, Vimeo to work is a very simple math.

The incoming connection for the user has to be 'bigger' as a pipe than the data rate for the video.

If you have a 10mb connection, you should be able to watch 8mb video (the general data rate of some HD online) with almost no wait.

So yes, you can do this using FCP & compressor. Now, if you're hosting it yourself, you're dealing with other issues, such as the incoming speed to your offsite host; things you may not be able to control.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]