FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way to compress footage from sony nex vg 10

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Smith
best way to compress footage from sony nex vg 10
on Nov 15, 2011 at 5:21:59 pm

hi,
I've just got a couple minutes of footage from the sony nex-vg 10 (it is slowed down to 60%) and using quicktime regular settings makes a file that stutters. i was then advised to use compressor to make an mp4. i did that and the mp4 is terribly distorted. i'm going to project these from laptops so i need something i can burn onto a dvd and play in a loop.

any help? tips? something i am doing wrong?
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: best way to compress footage from sony nex vg 10
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:07:51 am

[Susan Smith] "using quicktime regular settings makes a file that stutters"

Can you explain what you mean by this? QuickTime is a container (or bucket if you like.) What format of video is in that bucket? Is it XDCam? Is it Animation? Some formats weren't meant for playback. h.264, the best delivery codec in many cases, in an MPEG4 container could produce very good results.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Susan Smith
on Nov 21, 2011 at 3:25:23 am

thank you! use the h.264 in compressor which worked well!

as i am learning, i think this is what i should have said, the camera is AVCHD format.
the problem was somehow, by accident, i changed the scale numbers in the fcp sequence. this made a quicktime that had distorted images.

thanks again!

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Nov 25, 2011 at 10:56:21 pm

Just convert the file to ProRes and it will playback fine and look good. Easier to edit it too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]