FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reference Quality Advantage?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Haskell
Reference Quality Advantage?
on Nov 13, 2011 at 2:07:24 am

In the Apple Discussion boards. a poster was making the case that an exported QT reference movie from FCP brought into Compressor would be a higher quality than a self-contained movie. I was going to dispute that but since there were a number of knowledgable people on this thread who didn't dispute that claim, I backed off.

So, is it true that exporting a referenced movie gives you a quality advantage?

Russ

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Reference Quality Advantage?
on Nov 15, 2011 at 4:39:05 pm

[Russ Haskell] "is it true that exporting a referenced movie gives you a quality advantage?"

Not in any case I can imagine.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Nov 16, 2011 at 2:28:33 am

Mark, Thanks for the responseā€¦I appreciate it.

Russ

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:12:05 am

But, in the FCP workflow (and since you were on an Apple board, that's what I'm assuming), If you use the send to compressor (instead of export QuickTime or QuickTime ref) you will get a better quality - because the synthetic elements (such as generators) were never compressed into the timeline codec.

Compressor will natively handle them and pass that data to be compressed in the final output, meaning only one compression hit, not two.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]