FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Compression Option For Text Only?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Christy
Best Compression Option For Text Only?
on Nov 2, 2011 at 3:00:33 pm

I'll need to pre-render a text element to use in a project later on, and unfortunately, I've tried everything I can think of but I'm simply going to have to add compression to it to make it workable. Uncompressed it's to large and PP crashes when I try to bring it in as a png sequence (as it's over 6,000 frames long).

So, this is just simple scrolling text, lasting 4min and has a transparent background. Can anyone recommend the best compression for a video with just text? My goal is, if I DO have to compress this, to keep it the absolute highest quality possible as it will get recompressed at least once after this.

I've played around with Quicktime and it seems to have a alpha channel option with some type of PNG compression agent. Not sure if that's the best way to go.

Thnx!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Best Compression Option For Text Only?
on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:23:12 am

You could try ProRes 4444 which has an alpha channel. Then again, so do the DNxHD codecs that go with Avid. both will be significantly smaller than uncompressed...and support alpha channels.

Common distribution codecs like h.264 don't support an alpha channel.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]