FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mts

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
.mts
on Nov 2, 2011 at 9:38:03 am

Hi folks,

i've been tasked to make content for a interactive firearms simulator. The software is propriety and the machine is PC based. The simulator is really set up around consumer products ie handycams. So you can simply plug a AVCHD handycam straight into the system and it converts the .mts on the way in to a .avi (morgan codec). Then you can create the interactivity inside the systems own edit/links system.

My problem is I have shot it on a EX3 in XDCAM HD at 1080p 25 and cut it all on a Mac using Media 100 using proress 422 then completed fx work in AE on the mac. I've left a message with the folk who make the morgan codec to see if theres anyway of creating a .avi (morgan codec) on a mac. But having looked at there website I don't think there is.

I've output it to wmv and although it will play on the computer on WMP and can also play ok in the simulator interactive software to a certain extent it misbehaves.

So anyway what I'm thinking of trying to do (which I know is kinda crazy) is somehow convert my finished QT file back to AVCHD (.mts) files and trick the machine into thinking it's come off the camera
and hopefully it will successfully injest.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or even think its possible. Loads of programs around that convert from .mts to other codecs. But have not come across any that convert back to .mts . Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: .mts
on Nov 2, 2011 at 3:23:51 pm

If you can only encode to "morgan" on Windows, use Parallels (or Fusion) running Windows 7 on your Mac and just copy the ProRes file over to Windows. Then encode to the "morgan" codec.

Or are you saying their encoder can ONLY encode AVCHD / MTS to "morgan" codec?
Somehow something seems amiss with this workflow. I can't imagine that this is the standard professional workflow since it seems to make any post work on either platform, difficult.

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
Re: .mts
on Nov 2, 2011 at 6:10:27 pm

Do you know what is in the middle that converts AVCHD to a Morgan Avi? It may be able to handle similar consumer/ delivery codecs like H.264.

This is a bit less elegant but might work. If you have a professional output card you could hook a stream into the input of an AVCHD camera. Then simply record the stream. It's not the best solution in the world but it might be acceptable for this wacky set up.

That's really a shot in the dark but might be worth a try. I have the luxury of avoiding most AVCHD cameras.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]