FORUMS: list search recent posts

Settings for 2 hour material

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Settings for 2 hour material
on Oct 30, 2011 at 5:50:11 am

HI,

I have to encode a 114min stage show in Compressor for a Single layer DVD on which still has to fit a simple menu and a 3 min Trailer.
What is the best encoding settings I can fit this, in a still as good as possible quality?
In my first try, I had following settings in Apple Compressor: VBR, Average 5,0Mbs, MAx 6,6Mbs.
Unfortunately, that was 4,33 GB and too big.
Any suggestions?

Thanx a lot.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
Re: Settings for 2 hour material
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:17:26 pm

What setting were you using in compressor? DVD Best quality? If you are going to run it through compressor one of the DVD settings should take care of you. It will kick out an MPEG 2 file an AC3 audio file. You can get more fancy with it but there really is no need.

If you really want to know the bit rate time answer try this http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/index.html

For example. I plugged in 3500 Mb for 1 hour and 17 minutes. With audio set to 128 kbps. I got a max bit rate of 6079 kbps.

I usually allow DVD studio pro to compress my DVDs from their native format. I've always been happy with he results.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:26:04 pm

Thanx. I will keep the Bitrate calculator in mind.
I did find a decent adjustment, which worked.
Average Bitrate 4,4 Max 6,6 audio 224 kbs VBR
It looks great.
DVDSTP I never use for encoding, to much artifacts, specially with SD Footage.

Thanx for your hint.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:40:14 pm

What version of FCP studio are you running? I haven't noticed artifacts with DVD Studio Pro encodes but I also don't make many DVDs anymore. What is your SD source footage when you have the problems? I'm honestly curios not questioning your judgement.

When I was making a lot of DVDs we shot DVCam footage on the PD 170 and later XDCam footage on the EX 1. A lot of talking head pieces but a few training exercises with quite a bit of action. I was fairly new then so maybe I didn't notice the artifacts. I always like to learn something new.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:05:26 pm

I use FCP 6.0.6. SD Footage is from my Panasonic DVX100 - specially in things like striped t-shorts, lines, fences, I can see the quality differences.
It's not too big, but I am a detail freak with slight autistic tendencies in those things.

DVDSTP is just not optimized for encoding, but it does an ok job.

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]