FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD to SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronwyn Williams
AVCHD to SD DVD
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:52:40 am

I am really quite technically challenged when it comes to all the various terms, and understanding interlaced vs progressive etc.
I have imported my AVCHD files into FCP. I have converted to apple pro res (LT) and sequence settings are 1920 x 1080 HDTV 1080i, upper field. I have edited my video, then export to compressor. Here I need to make the file into an SD file, to load into DVD studio pro. During this conversion, the product, when viewing (on my comp screen) in DVDSP looks very 'stripey'. I understand that I shouldn't de-interlace the footage in FCP as not to lose quality. What can change to rectify this? Just looking for best workflow to get best quality SD DVD ultimately??

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
Re: AVCHD to SD DVD
on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:36:30 pm

What did you originally shoot in? If it was originally progressive you shouldn't have converted it to interlaced till you went to DVD.

Generally interlaced video will look "stripey" on computer monitors. Play the DVD in a DVD player and see if it still looks bad. You may need to recompress it with a different field dominance.

Return to posts index

Bronwyn Williams
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:41:03 pm

It was originally interlaced: 1080i, thanks, will have a look at DVD, I think that removing any field dominance in FCP and compressor might help, so I'm testing that too.

Return to posts index

Bronwyn Williams
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:15:59 am

I solved the problem just by changing the sequence settings in FCP, under field dominance to none. Then just exported through compressor with their 90 min best encode settings. The de-interlace settings in compressor made the picture soft.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:26:03 pm

It depends on the look that you want. DVDs are always 720x480 for NTSC. Widescreen video is stretched 720. To maximize your efforts, scale your video in FCP to 720x480 anamorphic and then check it on an external monitor. If that looks good, submit that for compression. If it looks bad, change the workflow.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]