FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client can't view rushes. Any ideas?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Hargreaves
Client can't view rushes. Any ideas?
on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:40:58 am

Hi all,

A client needs to view some rushes on his machine to help with scripting. Unfortunately, he can only hear the audio and can't see the pictures.

We shot on xdcam, and I can view them no problem. We then copied them from my Mac to his new hard drive, which we formated MSDOS-FAT so his PC would be able to read them.

His PC knows the files are there but just won't display the pictures. He's tried Quicktime Pro 7, Mpeg Streamclip and several other playback solutions with no success.

Any suggestions? Could it be that his machine lacks a graphics card capable of playing the files? (They are 1920 HD).

Any quick fix solutions that don't require me to recompress 35gb of footage into a new codec appreciated!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Client can't view rushes. Any ideas?
on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:41:04 pm

[Dylan Hargreaves] "We shot on xdcam, and I can view them no problem. We then copied them from my Mac to his new hard drive, "

Why would you believe he has the XDCAM codec installed since that's what it would take to view the XDCAM files you gave him? If he doesn't have an NLE with the codec installed or a player like VLC which can play it, I'd fully expect that they wouldn't be able to play it.

Hint, a partial answer may be in my above response.

Sony ClipBrowser is free too.

Return to posts index

Dylan Hargreaves
on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:49:49 pm

Thanks Craig,

I was under the impression that xdcam transfer created an mpeg2 mov file that could be viewed without the need for the xdcam codec, but then seeing as I have all the necessary soft and hardware, it's not really something I've given much thought to.

So the VLC player and Sony Clip browser might work..? Thanks, will give em go!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:42:29 pm

[Dylan Hargreaves] "I was under the impression that xdcam transfer created an mpeg2 mov file that could be viewed without the need for the xdcam codec,"

It wraps the file with a .mov container. There is no transcode (it would actually be a serious drawback if there was one).

[Dylan Hargreaves] "it's not really something I've given much thought to.
"

It's a must if you even need to hand off the footage. The BPAV is you camera master. I never hand off the .mov only I know explicitly it's going to be used in Final Cut.

[Dylan Hargreaves] "So the VLC player and Sony Clip browser might work..?"

Not might, will work.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:29:12 pm

Be aware that FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit. You can't go beyond 4GB in file size. It won't warn you when you export your video, but it you will get dead Quicktime files in the process.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so often hard to figure out what he is talking about. He is always happy to explain answers further.

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Nov 25, 2011 at 11:14:33 pm

If he has a PC have him go to Sony Creative software and download the
demo of the latest version of Sony VEGAS PRO 11. It is free will work for a month. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]