FORUMS: list search recent posts

x264Encoder settings comared in Handbrake

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ian ritter
x264Encoder settings comared in Handbrake
on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:53:01 pm

Hi, when converting files using Handbrake to H.264(x264) with iphone/ipod preset i really like the quality and file size...i would like to see the same results when using Quicktime to export thru the x264Encoder...is anyone familiar with how to get the settings in x264Encoder to match what Handbrake is exporting using iphone/ipod preset? don't know alot about all the options in x264Encoder...thanks for any and all help! :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: x264Encoder settings comared in Handbrake
on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:58:09 pm

x264 works in Quicktime Pro and Apple Compressor as well.
You match the settings by typing in the same numbers. Sorry but without details that's all one can say. You need to examine the settings used in HandBrake.

Return to posts index

ian ritter
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:14:19 pm

Hi Craig, Thanks for the quick response!!
"You match the settings by typing in the same numbers"
I have tried matching data rates but Handbrake always seems to look better, i installed x264Encoder for more options and Baseline profile so i could try to match Handbrake but no luck so far, unless Handbrake is just that much better? i am new to this but really would love to be able to export from iMovie with same quality mp4 Handbrake is giving me, thanks again for any help!! :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:34:16 pm

Without knowing the settings I'm not sure what to suggest.
I've used x264 in Compressor and even Telestream ScreenFlow and the results look great.
I don't think HandBrake does anything different given it's the same codec.

Return to posts index

ian ritter
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:49:25 pm

Hi, here is a screen shot of the advanced settings in Handbrake, x264Encoder seems to have more options so maybe i don't have them set right? maybe something i'm missing? thanks for a great sight! :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39276137/Handbrake_iPhone_iPod_preset.jpg

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:27:51 pm

Quicktime Pro doesn't offer the same interface.
That setting apparently uses no B frames and it's a Quality based encode. The closes equivalent is setting the Data Rate to Automatic and using the Quality setting but there's no direct correlation to what the quality setting would be. Also you'd turn off Frame Reordering to be the equivalent of no B frames.

Personally the HandBrake setting looks very inefficient as lack of B frames and Quality encoding might result in an unnecessarily large file.

I'd recommend using the free MediaInfo (or $2.99 I believe in the App Store) to analyze the Handbrake encode and then improve on it when using Quicktime Pro. If you were to match the data rate and use B Frame (Frame Reordering) and 2 pass encoded you could get better looking file. You may even be able to lower the data rate. Maybe B frames might be a problem in older iPhones and iPods though.

Return to posts index

ian ritter
on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:59:09 am

Cool! gonna fiddle around more with your advice...MediaInfo is helpful....i do think B frames are a problem with iPhone/iPod needing Baseline Profile ?
Ultimately if i could just Convert the DVD to x264 in Handbrake and then edit the content into separate segments that would play on both IOS and Android that would be great...but whenever i try to edit the x264 file the sound is out of sync on Android in the edited segments...guessing it plays fine on IOS because it knows what the x264 export from Quicktime expects?
Thanks again for taking the time to answer! :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2011 at 2:03:28 pm

[ian ritter] "i do think B frames are a problem with iPhone/iPod needing Baseline Profile ? "

It depends on your target. iPad 1/2, iPhone 4/4S can handle Main Profile and some have even reported High Profile working although not officially in Apple's spec. Also recent iPad Touches I believe. Androids may not be as capable. Both hardware and OS is heavily fragmented.

Return to posts index

ian ritter
on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:42:45 pm

Hi, Ant suggestions on how to use Quicktime H.264(x264) to make baseline mp4? or will i need to use x264Encoder in iMovie to export a baseline profile? Also, any suggestions on how to et deblocking in x264Encoder? in the quicktime h264(x264) there is a slider for deblocking...thanks again for any insight! :)

Return to posts index

ian ritter
on Oct 25, 2011 at 6:04:30 am

Hi, using the x264encoder i found that doing a 3 Pass encoding gave me a DVD to mp4 file that can be edited into segments that play on IOS and Android...wondering if you know why this works? glad it does!

Return to posts index

ian ritter
on Oct 22, 2011 at 5:50:25 pm

So i have tried just about every combination of settings in x264Encoder to match the presets in Handbrake (iphone/ipod) and cant duplicate the quality of Handbrake...i need to use Baseline Profile...any settings i might have missed? or it can't be done? thanks so much for responses! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]