FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Apple Prores option in MPEG streamclip (final cut pro x, quicktimeplayer x, mac OSX lion)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sander Lowie
No Apple Prores option in MPEG streamclip (final cut pro x, quicktimeplayer x, mac OSX lion)
on Oct 16, 2011 at 1:16:34 pm

I know this question has been asked a million times however the answers I've read don't really apply to me.
I want to convert my canon 5d files to prores 422 however it doesn't show up in MPEG streamclip.

The problem for a lot of other users who asked this question seems to be to update to final cut pro 6 or 7. However I already have final cut pro X, do I have to downgrade to final cut pro 7 in order to let MPEG streamclip export to prores 422?

Sander

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: No Apple Prores option in MPEG streamclip (final cut pro x, quicktimeplayer x, mac OSX lion)
on Oct 16, 2011 at 2:17:36 pm

Export Quicktime/Compression
and then you select any of your Quicktime codecs.
I don't have any systems that just have FCPX on it but my FCP7/FCPX systems have the option in MPEGStreamclip.

Did you download all the codecs after installing FCPX? They're not built in. You must use Software Update. I believe there was an additional update on Apple's Support site after FCPX .0.1 came out.

Return to posts index

Sander Lowie
Re: No Apple Prores option in MPEG streamclip (final cut pro x, quicktimeplayer x, mac OSX lion)
on Oct 16, 2011 at 2:32:55 pm

Thank you for your answer. Wich codecs should I download? I do believe i have the latest version of final cut pro x.

At this moment my main problem is that I have to edit a xvid avi file and it has to be done tomorrow. Wich other codec can i convert the xvid avi file to that can be easily edited in FCPx? I've read that the most succesfull way is to convert to prores 422 so either I will have to find a way to let MPEG streamclip convert to prores 422 or use another codec available.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:17:46 pm

[Sander Lowie] "At this moment my main problem is that I have to edit a xvid avi file"

Instal Perian version 1.2.3 and see if Quicktime and MPEGStreamclip can play it.

[Sander Lowie] "Wich other codec can i convert the xvid avi file to that can be easily edited in FCPx"

Apple ProRes. In FCPX under Final Cut Pro menu select Download Additional Content and that will install the codecs amongst other things if you haven't done that yet.
Also after doing that go here and download codecs
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396

At this point MPEGStreamclip should show various Apple ProsRes codecs as option when selecting Quicktime and Format.

An alternate codec that everyone has because it installs with iMovie (which is preinstalled on every Mac) is Apple Intermediate Codec but the quality isn't as good as ProRes.

Return to posts index

Sander Lowie
on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:56:10 pm

Thank you, the first answer (xvid/perian) u gave me was the same result as 3 hours of googling and it works!

I will try the other things you just told me. I'll give an update soon!

Return to posts index

Sander Lowie
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:42:54 pm

Worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]