FORUMS: list search recent posts

Repurposing a library to streaming, advice please...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Calhoun
Repurposing a library to streaming, advice please...
on Oct 14, 2011 at 3:12:27 pm

I'm a content producer and am repurposing a library of titles to streaming. I have 80 titles (largely SD) and they each range from 60 -90 minutes each and I've been advised to encode them to h264 using Handbrake using the Apple Universal setting for playback on most mobile devices. Newer titles are 720p HD in ProRes.

My questions:

1. Is Handbrake a reasonable solution or does Compressor 4 offer a better encode?
2. For my HD titles, is Compressor a better solution as I'd have to go to an intermediate to get into Handbrake as it doesn't accept ProRes files.

I'm not opposed to getting Episode if the results/presets are likely to generate with little manipulation better results across the board. I know I can set up batches in all 3 solutions but don't know the best route as encoding will only occur as new titles are developed not as a primary activity. As you can tell I know little about streaming so any input is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Repurposing a library to streaming, advice please...
on Oct 14, 2011 at 3:31:55 pm

[Doug Calhoun] " repurposing a library of titles to streaming"

Streaming, progressive download, playback on devices?
Streaming is specific to streaming servers and unfortunately I think most people misuse the term.

[Doug Calhoun] "1. Is Handbrake a reasonable solution or does Compressor 4 offer a better encode?"

Apple's codec isn't the best at lower bit rates and it also doesn't allow for as much tweaking as other encoders. Compressor 4 does encode to H.264 .mp4 though.

I might suggest looking at MPEGSreamClip with the X264 codec installed.

[Doug Calhoun] "I'm not opposed to getting Episode if the results/presets are likely to generate with little manipulation better results across the board."

This would be the best solution in my opinion. It uses the MainConcept codec which is very good. It allows for a lot of tweaking. There's a significant difference between free tools and something that costs like Episode.

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
Re: Repurposing a library to streaming, advice please...
on Oct 14, 2011 at 3:58:07 pm

Thanks Craig, yes streaming from a CDN. I think the Handbrake solution was suggested as a one file fits all but I wasn't sure how targeted it would be. I know I could export multiple flavors and the website could detect the device and stream the appropriate versions. We're trying to encode for computer and mobile devices.

I'll look at Episode more seriously, it's nice that it imports ProRes for HD titles without having to go to an intermediate (like would be required with Handbrake) and would likely streamline the process. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]