FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert video to ANYTHING a PC will play back?...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Barry
Convert video to ANYTHING a PC will play back?...
on Oct 12, 2011 at 8:29:51 pm

First Creative Cow post.

I'm working in FCPX and Compressor 4. Trying to convert some videos for use on a Windows PC, particularly to be used in PowerPoint but having a tough time. I seem to have 3 options:

-AVI file, video with no sound
-AVI file, sound with no video
-AVI file, both at such a low quality, it's not worth watching (this was done from iMovie)

I've read a lot that would suggest it's a PC problem, and that the AVI file is fine, but I feel like it's more complicated than that. Is there a single reliable method from FCPX and Compressor 4 to create a file that will simply play back on a PC, that would also be compatible with PowerPoint, with both video and audio at a decent quality?

Seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

"Ohh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. "I'm My Own Grandfather"! Let's just steal the damn dish and get out of here! Screw history!"
-Professor Hubert Farnsworth

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
Re: Convert video to ANYTHING a PC will play back?...
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:50:49 pm

In my opinion the codec options for an AVI file from compressor are less than awesome. This is because Apple doesn't/didn't want to spend any time or money on a competitor's old format.

Cinepak will probably be the best option for PPT. Keep in mind this codec is old enough to vote and the files will only look so good no matter what OS you make it on.

The best codec for an AVI is TSCC which to my knowledge isn't available for Compressor and still involves considerable expense and other caveats.

WMV is what we use for PPT. Episode makes the best looking wmvs on a Mac but is not inexpensive. Flip4Mac is the next option but is probably more like the Chevy Lumina of compressors. It will get you there but doesn't compare to more expensive encoders. The reality is that the best looking wmvs are made on a PC.

If they are running PPT 2010 you could try a H264 file but I have had limited success with consistent playback especially at sizes larger than 640x360.

I would try flip4mac.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:09:08 pm

Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 can play H.264 .mp4. It doesn't even need Quicktime.
Compressor 3.x can't do H.264 .mp4 (except by using an iDevice preset and changing the .m4v extension)
Compressor 4 can do H.264 .mp4. Quicktime 7 Pro can do H.264 .mp4
Otherwise you can buy Flip4Mac Studio HD and create WMV9 (but that should only be needed for Vista or XP machines).

Return to posts index

Shawn Barry
on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:00:09 pm

Thanks Craig, and Brad. It was sort of what I was expecting, but was concerned maybe I was missing something obvious technically. I think the cost to get the best tools is justifiable, so not a big issue there.

Thanks - think I'll try having both Flip and Episode on hand. Seems like politics shouldn't keep pros from simple tasks, but I think that's likely a different topic.

Thanks for the advice,
Shawn

"Ohh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. "I'm My Own Grandfather"! Let's just steal the damn dish and get out of here! Screw history!"
-Professor Hubert Farnsworth

Return to posts index

Alex Campbell
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:56:36 pm

Mpeg1 is considered to be kind of a universal playback codec. It will play on pretty much anything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]