FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie advice on DVCPRO HD 1080i COMPRESSION

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brown
Newbie advice on DVCPRO HD 1080i COMPRESSION
on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:16:25 am

Hi everyone,
I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I am a complete novice at this video capture and compression but i have been asked to do a project at work that involves HD capture and then compression for archiving while keeping a high quality.

My camera is a Panasonic AW-HE50S HD pan tilt camera which we use to capture sporting events in a stadium with settings at 1080i
The footage is captured in a Apple PRO with a AJA KONA 3G card straight into Final Cut studio.
I am getting a QT file at 115m/bits per sec around a 1Gb per minute in DVC PRO HD.

This footage is great for the initial viewing, ( apart from some ghosting issues on ball movement through the air?) but i need to compress this for archiving, while keeping a reasonably high quality as the footage will be used again and viewed on large HD screens ( Panasonic 103")
I have tried different things from the Elgato H264 HD stick to some of the settings in Compressor but haven't quite found that sweet spot.

I have files of 100Gb that i need to compress down to 20Gb or below if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Regards Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Newbie advice on DVCPRO HD 1080i COMPRESSION
on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:07:15 am

[Steve Brown] "This footage is great for the initial viewing, ( apart from some ghosting issues on ball movement through the air?) but i need to compress this for archiving, while keeping a reasonably high quality as the footage will be used again and viewed on large HD screens ( Panasonic 103")
"

Steve - I'd suggest biting the bullet and saving the QuickTime files as they are. They're perfect for archiving - they'll remain exactly the quality you captured them at. They'll playback decently too!

If you want to compress them for playback (not for archival), I'd suggest the apple TV 2 legato (or compressor) setting. Both should produce a 1080 file that is smaller but plays back great.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Steve Brown
Re: Newbie advice on DVCPRO HD 1080i COMPRESSION
on Oct 15, 2011 at 7:15:01 pm

Many thanks for the advice.

Regards Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]