FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method for: 60mins XDCAM 1080p --> h264 .MOV that is under 200mb

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Berg
Best method for: 60mins XDCAM 1080p --> h264 .MOV that is under 200mb
on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:06:07 am

Hi all,

Any help on this i greatly appreciated as it could potentially save me many hours.

I currently have:
60 minutes of XDCAM 1080p 25fps footage
which I would like to compress to:
60 minutes to h264 .mov that is under 2GB in size.

The frame size, bit rate, frame rate are all variable, but the file size must be lower than 2GB.

The sequence in FCP is made up of 3 segments joined together with the audio levels slightly boosted.

I have been browsing this forum and seen a few people saying that exporting a self contained .mov and dragging sending that to compressor is the best option (rather than sharing straight from FCP).
Within Compressor, I can then change the .mov h264 preset defaults of bitrate and frame size until the estiamed file size drops below 2gb (with a test on a segment for quality too).

Is this correct? Or are there any other preferred methods that might make my exporting more efficient?

Many thanks,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Best method for: 60mins XDCAM 1080p --> h264 .MOV that is under 200mb
on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:03:55 am

[Daniel Berg] "I have been browsing this forum and seen a few people saying that exporting a self contained .mov and dragging sending that to compressor is the best option (rather than sharing straight from FCP).
"

This will make it faster. Quality will be a bit higher for graphics and generators if you send to compressor directly from FCP.

On the bit rate:

You'll need a total bit rate of around 4,400 to end up with that sized file. I'd run 1 min @ a full 1080/25 and see how it looked. That's probably a bit lower that it needs (nitrate wise).

I'd then try the same at 1280x720. And then again at 960x540. I'm pretty sure that 960x540 should look good, but I'd like you to have the largest pixel size possible.

Probably no need to change the frame rate.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]