FORUMS: list search recent posts

G2M4 Conversion Issues

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Seibert
G2M4 Conversion Issues
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:25:02 pm

So I have a video that I need converted to mp4, but it's in G2M4 (.wmv). I have flip4mac studio pro, but I still can't see video. Only audio. Anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dan Seibert
Re: G2M4 Conversion Issues
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:39:42 pm

And to help out. I'm running:

MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X 10.6.8
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio (2009)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:48:56 pm

G2M4 is a proprietary codec. Go To Meeting does not offer a Mac plugin as they do for Windows Media Player on Windows.

I was under the impression that they were moving away from it due to complaints from Mac user. Hosts can use standard wmv9 but many are unaware of the problem the codec causes for Mac users who need the file.

There is no way I know of to use the file. You'll have to use Bootcamp, Parallels, Fusion running Windows or a Windows PC and re-encode the file.

Return to posts index

Dan Seibert
on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:40:20 pm

Well that is frustrating. I suppose I'll have to boot up fusion for a solution. Thanks for the help! I'll post my workflow if people need to reference it in the future.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 5, 2011 at 12:01:43 am

[Dan Seibert] "Well that is frustrating."

No kidding. I've had some rather choice words I've sent to GoToMeeting about this issue. I noted to them that using a codec that's not supported on Mac is more likely to cause people to move to another service than switch computers. That's when they said they were planing on moving away from it. There are a fair number of professionals who use Macs and that number is growing.

Return to posts index

Sarah Gilberg
on Jun 4, 2012 at 5:29:51 pm

Hi guys,

In case this is still an issue for you guys or others coming upon this page searching for "G2M4" as I did - I just found a solution that doesn't involve Fusion etc. GoToMeeting recommends Microsoft Expression Encoder to encode the file as a WMV that is more editable (see http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/GoToMeeting/help_files/GTM080005?Titl... ). Microsoft offers a free version of Expression Encoder here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24601. I was able to use this on my PC to encode the G2M4 file to a regular WMV, then used my other conversion software (I use iSkysoft Video Converter) to convert WMV to MP4 for editing on Mac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]