FORUMS: list search recent posts

is this a safe bit rate?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Fass
is this a safe bit rate?
on Sep 30, 2011 at 2:23:00 pm

Using 2-pass VBR in Apple Compressor, I got lots of artifacts but things look fine with CBR.

Question is: do you think 6.8 is a safe bit rate for CBR, in terms of old/cheap DVD players? I can recompress everything if necessary, but time is short.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: is this a safe bit rate?
on Sep 30, 2011 at 2:41:22 pm

[Philip Fass] "Using 2-pass VBR in Apple Compressor, I got lots of artifacts but things look fine with CBR."

This happened with some versions of Compressor but I believe it was later fixed.

[Philip Fass] "Question is: do you think 6.8 is a safe bit rate for CBR, in terms of old/cheap DVD players? I can recompress everything if necessary, but time is short."

Maybe. It's hard to know for sure which old or cheap DVD player will find that just past the threshold of its aging acceptability. Having to deal with these compatibility issues with burned DVD video is one reason I long for its death.

Is 6.8 safe? 6.5 is safer, 6.0 would be OK. What's the lowest common denominator? I tend to err on the side of conservative since the cost redos is a major pain and I don't think people will notice the quality difference short of doing side by side.

Return to posts index

Philip Fass
on Sep 30, 2011 at 3:02:28 pm

As I feared. So you'd go with 6.0? I don't want to lose sleep over this project...it's very low budget.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 30, 2011 at 3:16:01 pm

If it's low budget I'd use 6.0 or you could get away with 6.5.

On these kinds of jobs I'd usually have a compatibility disclaimer in the contract. You don't want to get stuck redoing DVDs because the customer has an old DVD player. The cost of the redo may be greater than buying a new inexpensive DVD player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]