FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Compressor Setting - Mac AND PC compatible

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle Warren
Best Compressor Setting - Mac AND PC compatible
on Sep 24, 2011 at 12:35:12 pm

I hate Windows with a passion because it's just annoying having to cater to them when they don't use something like Quicktime and its components like Macs do.

Anyways, I have a corporate type video that will be sent around to clients on a flash drive. I suggested using the Apple TV setting in compressor/QT because it gives great quality at a tiny file size. But of course, then the client asks if it will work with a PC. I honestly have no idea. Does it? And if it doesn't, what will give the same great compression quality and file size for something compatible for both Mac and PC?

Before anyone mentions it, I've read this thread which is almost the exact same question, but there really wasn't a definitive answer. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/20/861756

Can anyone help? It doesn't need to be spectacular, just look good and work on both Mac and PC. It would be better not to have to do two exports each if possible. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best Compressor Setting - Mac AND PC compatible
on Sep 24, 2011 at 2:00:31 pm

Things have improved since then.

If you use an Apple TV preset you'll get an H.264 .m4v in most cases. .m4v can be changed to .mp4 by hand. They really are the same thing.

Why is that good? Windows Media Player 12 which comes with Windows 7, plays H.264 .mp4 natively. They don't need to have Quicktime installed.

So if you use and Apple TV preset and change .m4v to .mp4, you'll have a very good file that will play on Mac and Windows without any special effort by either.

So what's the downside? Older computers might struggle with the higher data rate encode (probably not many though). Vista or Windows XP don't have WMP12 so they may need to install Quicktime or some other player/plugin to play H.264 .mp4.

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
Re: Best Compressor Setting - Mac AND PC compatible
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:53:15 pm

Thank you Craig, that is really good to know. I wasn't aware of the simple switch between m4v and mp4.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]