FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert 720p video for Flash, iPad, and YouTube

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Sanderson
Convert 720p video for Flash, iPad, and YouTube
on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:54:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've recently come into a new position and I'm trying to streamline the company's video output. Currently, they shoot/edit 720p footage. We're trying to find the most efficient way to encode video for Flash, mp4's for iPad, and 480p h.264 video for YouTube. All the forums I've read have had a few different ways to do this and I was wondering if there is any one program/technique to go for.

I need a solution that is quick and high quality -- difficult I know. We use a Streamz encoder for our Flash video, have been using Compressor to downcovert our HD video to something quicker to upload to YouTube, and have been trying a few different programs to create video for iPad. The quality of our Flash video is subpar and I'd like to play around with some different settings. Any ideas on settings for Streamz encoding? For our mp4 creation, we've tried Compressor (too slow) and Sorenson 5 (quality hasn't been great). So far, I've had the most luck using Handbrake actually - files have been relatively small in size and the quality is great.

So my real question -- any way I can create all these different files without utilizing 3 different programs while still maintaining the best quality and a quick conversion?

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Will

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Convert 720p video for Flash, iPad, and YouTube
on Sep 24, 2011 at 2:42:19 am

Have you tried DV Kitchen? http://www.dvkitchen.com/

Return to posts index

Will Sanderson
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:25:36 pm

Thank you for your response. I've never used DV Kitchen. It is encoding great quality files. The only trouble I'm running into is having it encode 3 different outputted videos (mp4, flash, h264) from the 1 video input. Also, does it have support for watch folders?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:43:14 pm

iPad, Flash, YouTube can all use the same file.
H.264 .mp4 Main profile Level 3.1 should work. Frame size and date rate are limited by what iPad can handle if you want to use one file.

iPad video playback specs are here. Scroll down to see them.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Return to posts index

Will Sanderson
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:33:25 pm

Thanks for your response Craig. What would you say is the best program for encoding that 1 file?

My only concern is that we try to create relatively small-sized Flash videos for streaming on our site, but like to have better quality videos for YouTube and iPad. Would this file meet all those expectations?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:50:24 pm

[Will Sanderson] "My only concern is that we try to create relatively small-sized Flash videos for streaming on our site, but like to have better quality videos for YouTube and iPad. Would this file meet all those expectations?"

You may want to have different encodes for that. For YouTube you might want 720 at 5000kbps because they're going to re-encode it.

For iPad that might be OK as well but it depends because you might want to try a lower data rate given the potential limited storage and screen size on the iPad. Also it depends on whether you're going to just view on iPad or send to an HDTV.

Flash on website also depends on frame size you want to offer viewers and at what data rate. 720p at 1500-2000kbps depending on content might be a range. That would be not too different than a YouTube final encode for example.

My encoder of choice is Telestream Episode but if you're on a budget, MPEGStreamClip would work. Installing the x264 codec might help as well although its specific controls can be very complex.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]