FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG-1 vs H-264

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorothy Taylor
MPEG-1 vs H-264
on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:05:40 pm

I understand that the application area of H264 compression is more widespread than that of MPEG-1. Leaving aside all that if we compare just the compression factor in both these techniques, can anyone please tell me which of the to has better compression ratio. Is the compression mechanism in H-264 same as that of mpeg-1? I am right if I say that way this algorithm has been written, it allows it to be used for a variety of purposes but the compression achieved is the same as of MPEG-1? I mean how do we really compare just the compression part of the two algorithms? What are the differences if H-264 provides better compression than MPEG-1?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: MPEG-1 vs H-264
on Sep 16, 2011 at 1:31:21 pm

It's practically like asking for a comparison between VHS and Apple ProRes or maybe Red Raw.

There's far too much math involved and most probably would glaze over trying to grasp it but, in short, they're not even worth comparing in my opinion. I wouldn't use MPEG1 for anything unless a specific program or truly ancient compatibility needed it.

If you want to compare, take a 1920x1080 source and encode to 1000kbps (very aggressively low) but use High Profile, CABAC entropy for H.264 and compare.

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:02:20 pm

Craig pretty much hit it on the head.

H.264 has a lot of nifty tricks to keep you video looking pretty even with a low data rate.

Most importantly it analyzes the video forward and backwards in time to achieve much better compression.

If you want to get into the weeds check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_codecs

Return to posts index

Dorothy Taylor
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:00:46 am

Are there any reference implementations of MPEG and H-264. The documentation of the standard is unavailable. Is there anywhere we can get the documentation on these two standards?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]