FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor- interlaced motion looks strobey

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Walker
Compressor- interlaced motion looks strobey
on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:51:54 am

I'm capturing SD shows using apple pro-res 422. Im capturing from DVCam, how the material was shot. I do my edits, then export uncompressed, self-contained files.
Then I drop them into Compressor. I'm using a custom .mov setting with H264 codec. But when I send the files where they are going, I keep hearing that there's a flickery/strobey look to quick hand movements. (the files are meant for NTSC broadcast, so I'm supposing they should remain interlaced with proper field dominance. I activate frame controls and set field dominance to 'same as source' I was told the look is improved, but the motion is still questionable. I don't see it on my end, since I'm doing it all with the computer monitor, sans NTSC video monitor.
Any ideas?

Also, when I turn on frame control, I change field dominance from progressive to same as source. I notice when I turn frame control back off, the Grayed-out field dominance still shows 'same as source', where I set it. Does this mean it will encode 'same as source', or does it really revert to the default 'progressive' when frame controls are left off, and I do the encode? Or do I definitely need to leave frame controls 'on'?

Clear as mud? Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
Re: Compressor- interlaced motion looks strobey
on Nov 25, 2011 at 11:22:40 pm

The flickery strobey motion is probably a field reversal/interlacing issue. How are you capturing your video. It sounds like at one time you have gone from 480 to 486 and/or back again. This will cause that effect. What is your timeline sequence in final cut? Make sure you sequence in final cut is the same as your capture.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]