FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch Compression from FCP for h.264

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Kowarsky
Batch Compression from FCP for h.264
on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:42:23 pm

Hi all -- it's compressor woes again.

I have a LOT of videos I need to prepare for encoding.com to dump to a variety of formats and I'm trying to follow guidelines from their blog on how to prep 720p intermediate files.

http://mpeek247.blogspot.com/2011/08/making-720p-intermediate.html

They recommend Handbrake which looks like it can do batches of already exported files, but not take output straight from FCP sequences.

High res exports of these videos do not currently exist -- I need to find a way to batch process them.

I have not figured out how to match the settings described in the link through Compressor 4 -- their mp4 settings are limited and based on what I've been reading, the "compressor can't put H.264 in an mp4 wrapper" issue probably prepped and ready to rear it's ugly head.

Three questions.

1. Can I prepare files to the specifications in the above link via compressor?
2. If I cannot, is there an alternate specification that's comparable in encode time and quality available coming out of compressor?
3. If there is not, what file format should I come out of compressor in if I am going to feed them through handbrake to conform them?

I am loathe to consider the possibility that I will have to pass them through 2 programs to get the kind of files we need for encoding.com but there's no way I can send all the files through quicktime conversion out of fcp 1 by one.

And any other more radical solutions will be welcomed.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Batch Compression from FCP for h.264
on Sep 15, 2011 at 12:33:15 am

If the videos aren't long you don't have to preprocess them, I assume you could upload the full quality directly to encoding.com.

Return to posts index

David Kowarsky
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:35:32 am

Perhaps I have not been clear -- full resolution versions of the files alone do not exist presently. I have sequences in FCP that I have only ever exported for streaming in H264 directly from compressor.

If you mean export in the codec we're editing in -- we're edting them in pro-res. I'm hoping that there is an option that creates somewhat smaller files since we pay by space used

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:28:58 am

Could you move all the sequences into one bin then do right-click and do batch export? I don't have final cut in front of me but I think that is it. ProRes would definitely be too big.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]