FORUMS: list search recent posts

What format/settings to stream videos on the internet? Final Cut Studio 3 with compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Chavinsky
What format/settings to stream videos on the internet? Final Cut Studio 3 with compressor
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:24:57 pm

I work for a church who wants to put all their sermons on their website and is asking me to format them appropriately.

Videos are shot in HDV 1440x1080 on a Sony Z1U

I am new and I see the video guy before me has some sermon videos for the web with the following properties:

• Kind: protected MPEG-4 movie
• Size: 413.1 MB
• Dimensions: 640x360
• Codecs: AAC, H.264
• Duration: 34:20
• Audio Channels: 2
• Total bit rate: 1,610

Are these settings optimal for web delivery? There are probably many variables I'm not aware of and am leaving out. In the program "Compressor", what settings should I apply? Apple --> Formats --> MPEG-4? And then change the Frame Size in the geometry tab

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What format/settings to stream videos on the internet? Final Cut Studio 3 with compressor
on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:11:03 pm

[Dave Chavinsky] "Are these settings optimal for web delivery?"

They'll work but "optimal" is very subjective. It depends on what your potential viewers are capable of.
Compresser 3.x only does the old MPEG4 .mp4 which is generally inefficient.
Compresser 4 does H.264 .mp4 (as Quicktime Pro has been able to do for some time).

H.264 .mp4 can be wrapped in Flash, play straight on WMP 12, Quicktime, iOS devices. How you deliver depends on your viewer's computers, devices, internet connection speed.

Return to posts index

Dave Chavinsky
Re: What format/settings to stream videos on the internet? Final Cut Studio 3 with compressor
on Sep 15, 2011 at 5:12:43 pm

Thanks Craig,

I figured it would be quite subjective. For our purposes, we're streaming sermons that we want everyone to have the most access to. There are a lot of old people who wouldn't have very good equipment.

The most universal format I suppose.

We're switching to Adobe CS5.5 also. Is there a "Compressor" equivalent that comes with the adobe suite?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 15, 2011 at 5:29:53 pm

[Dave Chavinsky] "We're switching to Adobe CS5.5 also. Is there a "Compressor" equivalent that comes with the adobe suite?"

Adobe Media Encoder.

[Dave Chavinsky] "There are a lot of old people who wouldn't have very good equipment."

Equipment and Internet connection speed. Both are important.
When targeting the lowest common denominator you can alienate those with newer computers and faster connections.

You may need Windows Media 9 for people with old Windows computers who don't update Quicktime or Flash. You may need Flash H.264 .mp4 for those who do update Flash, have newer computers, gives you the option to do HTML5 for iOS devices.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]