FORUMS: list search recent posts

non-standard frame size MPEG-2

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Grimes
non-standard frame size MPEG-2
on Sep 5, 2011 at 5:45:15 pm

I'm producing a video for projection on a Dataton Watchout System at a non-standard resolution of 3552x1080. I'm working in an After Effects comp with those dimensions.

The Watchout system will take MPEG-2 files. Is it possible to create an MPEG-2 file at 3552x1080? I have attempted to do this with Apple Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder and a BitVice demo, and can't specify the exact dimensions that I need with any of those.

Would I have to be using something like Episode or Sorenson Squeeze?

Thanks,
Drew

Return to posts index

Drew Grimes
Re: non-standard frame size MPEG-2
on Sep 5, 2011 at 5:54:06 pm

My apologies, I didn't read the "How to get FASTEST compression help" post until after I posted the above.....

1) Computer: Power Mac 8-core (2009)
2) OS: OSX 10.6.8
3) Software: After Effects CS5
4) Source Codec: A combination of stills, video (mostly Prores), and vector graphics composited in AE
5) Destination codec: MPEG-2 Program Stream
6) Destination use: Projection in a Watchout System.

Thanks,
Drew

Return to posts index

Nick Breckon
on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:00:24 am

Hi Drew

This may be a bit late on for you now, but I have have this challenge in the past too for some unusual display sizes.

Way back when I used to use Cleaner XL on PC you could hack the .xml file encoding profiles directly with notepad to change the parameters to get over restrictions set by the app.

Just had a little play and it seems you can do the same with compressor (I'm on v3). So make yourself a custom profile MP2 program stream that roughly hits your spec in terms of bitrate/GOP etc, close compressor and then find the corresponding .setting file in Library>Application Support>Compressor and pop it open in textedit. You can then hunt down the frame dimensions and edit away - when you reopen compressor the changes will appear!

I may get reprimanded for this hacker approach but it does work and has produced good results for me in the past.

All the best
Nick

Return to posts index

Brian Lynn
on May 30, 2012 at 6:26:43 am

You're not trying to produce this video to play across multiple WatchOUT outputs are you? If you are please refer to the Dataton documentation for WatchOUT and read up on "Video Proxies" and "Pre-Splitting video for playback".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]