FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor job continues lengthening

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bauman
Compressor job continues lengthening
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:18:14 pm

I've been doing the exact same presentations for awhile now, exporting them to a external hard drive. Each presentation is the same length. Then today I tried to compress a file that was fairly similar to the others in length, with one exception, there was two very short screen captured.mov files inserted into my timeline. One video according to the media manager in FCP was 15MB, and the other was 51MB. That's really the only difference between this and the other presentations I've done.

So I send it all to compressor after exporting it as a quicktime movie. Fine. It compresses in compressor, my target is fine, I use the same format I've been using, DVD MGEG-2 Video High Quality, and DVD Dolby Audio. About an hour into it, compressor starts processing. The estimated time jumps from four hours to six hours, to finally at the end of the day, 27 hours. Ridiculous. I check the batch monitor, there's no other jobs being processed, so finally I attempt to close the job. It pauses. As soon as it pauses, the estimated time bar goes back down, and my job has now gone from 23 percent finished to 47 percent finished. I click resume, the time estimate goes up again, back to 9 hours, and rising. Why isn't it showing me progress in real time? What does pausing the job do? I'm not sure why this job is so slow compared to the others. There's plenty of space left on my external. I will start trying other compression formats. I just don't know why this one suddenly doesn't work.

thanks,

-David

Return to posts index

David Bauman
Re: Compressor job continues lengthening
on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:09:24 am

I am using Mac OS X, version 10.6.8 with a 3.2 GHz i3 core.
Compressor version 3.5.3
This is for DVD output.
Apple intermediate codec 720p30 was used, when I placed footage in the FCP timeline, it suggested this setting be used.
The setting I used is DVD MPEG-2 Video .m2v which was the default setting for when you open up compressor and it asks about your job action. I said DVD. That's the setting it gave me. It's worked perfectly fine up till now, taking about five-six hours per dvd thus far.

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:58:50 pm

For anyone else having trouble, a potential simple solution would be to go to the Compressor file menu, and click, "RESET BACKGROUND PROCESSING". This clears any history of other batches, canceled or not, and when I clicked on this, and resubmitted my job, it began processing almost immediately.

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:40:30 pm

Well, the problem is still not solved. At 23 percent progress, the time begins to simply increase. It's been about two and a half hours and the progress bar was moving. Now it's not, it just gives me a higher and higher estimate of time, and I'm not at all confident it will move past 23 percent progress.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:45:09 pm

Time to consider this.
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressorrepair/

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:10:32 pm

Thanks. I just tried this. Restarted compressor. I thought maybe it had did something, everything started processing. But it's doing the same thing again where it gets to 23 percent and pauses.

Is there some other kind of compression software I could by that is an equivalent to compressor? I'm going to try all of this on another computer this evening with compressor to see if it's a computer related issue--though I can't imagine what it would be since it's all worked fine up till this video--but if I tried compression with different software that supported MPEG-2, maybe I could figure out if there's something wrong with my FCP original file.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:57:11 pm

Maybe there's a problem with the file itself. I'm assuming it's self contained and not a reference file.
Confirm that it is self contained.
Try playing it back straight through in Quicktime.
Since it seems it's getting hung up at a specific point and you've used the utility to "fix" Compressor, that would be the next thing to look at.

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:55:53 pm

Thanks. I actually forgot to mention, the movie was exported as a reference movie, instead of self contained for the sake of file space. That's worked for me on all the other movies in this set of movies I'm editing. However I'm going to go ahead and try re-exporting it as a self-contained movie, maybe that will make a difference. It just doesnt make sense to me that dvds burned for all the others when they were saved as reference movies. But maybe this will work.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:59:52 pm

Reference movies can develop issues if there are problems linking back to the original files. They do usually work but sometimes things can go wrong so you may have bumped into one of those occasions.

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Sep 3, 2011 at 12:20:12 am

Thanks, this seems to be working actually. Can't figure out definitively where the break was, but I made sure all the clips were connected properly, and exported as a reference movie. As of right now, 29 percent progress in Compressor with 2 and half hours remaining. So good sign, fingers crossed. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]