FORUMS: list search recent posts

suggestions for best batch convert tool?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael uman
suggestions for best batch convert tool?
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:53:54 pm

I'm looking to batch convert uncompressed video for a new website.Most of the material is SD with a smattering of HD material.Most of my material is animation and graphic design in nature.I was looking to convert everything full size h264. I have an older version of apple Compressor. Adobe media encoder and Handbreak.

I did a few tests with AME and didn't love the results...it looked a bit soft but it was fairly fast.I may have missed something but didn't find any deep compression controls in it which was surprising. I've read a lot of bad reviews of the new version of apple compressor so would stick with the older version since the newer version has more drawbacks then the old version. Handbreak always does a great job but it is painfully slow...I'm also not sure how .mp4a will work with the video player i'm planing on using in the website. Any opinions and recommendations to help point me in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: suggestions for best batch convert tool?
on Aug 25, 2011 at 6:53:03 pm

[michael uman] "I've read a lot of bad reviews of the new version of apple compressor so would stick with the older version since the newer version has more drawbacks then the old version."

I haven't seen any drawbacks with the new Compressor other than Apple's H.264 codec just about the weakest in the industry in both adjustability and low bit rates. Compress 4's clustering (I've only tested virtual) is actually a major improvement over 3 IMHO.

Evaluation of an encoding app doesn't mean much without using comparable settings. So saying AME is "soft" doesn't mean much. It may mean you didn't optimize the settings taking into account source and target.

AME, Episode Telestream, Sorenson Squeeze all use the same MainConcept H.264 which is one of the best H.264 implementations. Some would argue x264 is better. It app's implementation might be slightly different though. The best way to test is use a variety of sources with matching settings in each. Personally I think Episode is best but Squeeze is very very close. Episode has had a reputation for very good processing filters. You might also want to test specific to your system, Mac or Windows and CUDA capable GPU (Squeeze supports this) for speed tests also.

You might want to watch this
http://vids.onlinevideo.net/embed/player/FPXC3W1RWBFYV1PP

and read this
http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Choosing...

Return to posts index

igor jovcevski
Re: suggestions for best batch convert tool?
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:45:40 pm

Filmtrik Batch Convertor. It's ffmpeg front end with great recursive search and folder structure recreation. filmtrik.com

Igor
Woowave.com
tools for digital artists

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]