FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the fastest way to create de-interlaced MPEG2 files from ProRes files with 3:2 pulldown

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Dedly
What is the fastest way to create de-interlaced MPEG2 files from ProRes files with 3:2 pulldown
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:57:36 pm

Hello,

I'm a bit of a novice, so I appreciate in any help I can get in advance. I'm looking for the quickest way to create de-interlaced MPEG2 files from Apple ProRes 422 files with 3:2 pulldown.

The ProRes file specs are: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), 720 × 480, 4X3 aspect ratio, 29.97 fps, 63.48 Mbps. The file was originally shot on film and has a 3:2 pulldown. What I need is a MPEG2 transport stream file that has the 3:2 pulldown removed. It can be progressive and either a 29.97 or 23.976 frame rate.

I have Compressor, Final Cut and Cinema Tools. I've tried creating the files in Compressor with reverse telecine, but the final result makes the files look like every frame has lines/interlacing. I've tried altering the settings in frame controls and I've taken out the reverse telecine option with deinterlace option on the filters tab but that's not working either. Can someone point me in the right direction on what I'm missing?

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: What is the fastest way to create de-interlaced MPEG2 files from ProRes files with 3:2 pulldown
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:20:43 pm

[Johnny Dedly] "I'm looking for the quickest way to create de-interlaced MPEG2 files from Apple ProRes 422 files with 3:2 pulldown."

Are the ProRes files single shots with an unbroken 3:2 cadence, or edited sequences?

If they are single shots with an unbroken 3:2 cadence, make duplicates of the master clips and open the copies in Cinema Tools. Use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown - you'll need to manually specify the A frame. Read the manual if you're not familiar with the procedure. Once you've removed the pulldown, you'll end up with 24p (23.98) native ProRes files, which you can then compress to MPEG-2.

Again, don't try this on your source clips - duplicate them first. Cinema Tools is destructive, and will irreversibly change the clips on which it operates.

Return to posts index

Johnny Dedly
Re: What is the fastest way to create de-interlaced MPEG2 files from ProRes files with 3:2 pulldown
on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:35:38 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. It turns out that the cadence is messed up, which is what caused the problems. Now on to learning how to fix cadence...

Best,

Jonny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]