Steps for converting HDV 1080p to lossless 720p HD H.264 QT to play on PC

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Geis
Steps for converting HDV 1080p to lossless 720p HD H.264 QT to play on PC
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:20:15 am

Original work in 1080p HDV 1920x1080.

A film festival is requesting H.264.mov in 720p, no letterbox,
non-interlaced. All good, I can figure that out. I used the quicktime conversion from FCP to get a HD version in 720p which looked good; the file was 2.5 GB, they didn't care when I sent it, it
ran on my mac.

They are compiling all of these onto a blu-ray dvd to show. Unfortunately, they are using a PC to compile these and the quicktime codec I used as the default (an apple prores one) won't work on the PC and apparently you can't get the prores stuff on PCs.

When I use the H.264 codec from either quicktime converter or quicktime export from FCP, it looks like crap, no matter what settings I use; it's all pixilated, color loss, etc.

When I send straight to compressor from FCP, using the H.264 codec, the file is 16 GB, which won't work. (even that file looks jittery on my PC, but that may be because of the file size and a crappy old pc with a crappy video card.

So I think I figured out how to downsize the sequence in FCP to 1080x720 HD, that is rendering right now. I'm going to send this to compressor and see what happens.

So basically, I'm trying to get a 1080x720 HD 16:9 H.264 QT as lossless as possible. I know, ask for world peace too huh?

Any ideas? Compressor seems to be the way to go, is there a suggested initial conversion to feed to compressor to export the H.264 version?

thanks,
J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]