FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression technique

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Morin
Compression technique
on Aug 15, 2011 at 5:54:07 pm

I know this might be a broken record question but I just need specifics.

My compression workflow is FCP 7 send to Compressor 3.0.2. I'm working with XDCAM clips. From compressor i do an initial compression of ProRes422 and then rewrite the compressed file into an QT H.264. I do this bc when I first started compression XDCAM footage it would crash when trying to compress directly to H.264.
Anywho, I'm trying to broadcast everything via the web and I've got a few questions:

What is the ideal format to be putting these files in? H.264 has been working fine so far on Vimeo, but there's a little bit of buffering from my website.

So a sub questions is, what is the lowest recommended KB/sec compression i should go with?

That's it actually. Any tips on workflow would be great

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compression technique
on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:49:08 am

This reply is a little backwards - sorry about that.

[Andy Morin] "there's a little bit of buffering from my website"
This is likely because the data rate is too high either for your web site (it's connection to the rest of the Internet) or your connection isn't fast enough to the rest of the Internet.

What setting did you use? Try speedtest.net to measure the speed of your own connection.

[Andy Morin] "What is the ideal format to be putting these files in? H.264 has been working fine so far on Vimeo"
H.264 is an excellent format. Vimeo takes your h.264 and recompresses for playback at ideal sizing/data rates.

[Andy Morin] "what is the lowest recommended KB/sec compression i should go with?
"

At 720p, you might try dropping your frame rate down to 23.98 (which is significantly less frames.) Then pull back the data rate in 500k/s increments until 'it works' Probably somewhere around 2-4mb/s

[Andy Morin] " I do this bc when I first started compression XDCAM footage it would crash when trying to compress directly to H.264. "
You're going through ProRes which is fine...but does impact quality just a bit. Are you editing at all? Isolating this crash would help a little (but not the crux of your problem)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]