FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Sequence to DVD using Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Mermelstein
Avid Sequence to DVD using Compressor
on Aug 9, 2011 at 3:34:51 pm

I work with Avid DNX files, but very often clients want DVD dailies. From Avid, I export a QT reference movie same as source. I then bring the .mov into a FCP sequence so I can add a slate and B&T. Then, I send the sequence to Compressor (I use compressor because sometimes clients want security burns on the DVD and compressor is great at doing that.)

This encoding process takes about 2 hours for a 60-min reel. My question is what settings can I use to give good quality, but also reduce the encoding time? I currently have it set to One-Pass VBR 6.0-7.0 The original is 1920x1080psf.

Also, if anyone knows a more efficient way, please let me know, but do not suggest Episode. I've tried it and it doesn't let me do things that compressor allows.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Avid Sequence to DVD using Compressor
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:53:12 pm

Why aren't you adding slate/B&T inside of Media composer?

You likely could go in at CBR at the same data rate and have a decent looking file.

Last, Compressor is the only tool that will directly make a DVD; Episode and Squeeze can certainly do decent (and possibly better) compression for MPEG2. It's not that Compressor sucks, it's just that their MPEG2 algorithm could be better.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]