FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio delayed when changing formats & compressing

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto Moreno
Audio delayed when changing formats & compressing
on Aug 7, 2011 at 11:59:00 am

Hello there,

I am trying to import video from a DVD Dossier to make an artist's Website.

My idea is to get videos from different DVDs, then edit them in final cut pro (7 or 10) and then compress them in a format such as H264 or Flash for web and vimeo use.

My problem is that I get the audio delayed when I export it from FCP - up to FCP everything is fine but once I try to export the montage using FCP or compressor the thing doesn't seem to be in synch.

I'd appreciate some help since I've tried all the possible settings and it is driving me mad...!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Audio delayed when changing formats & compressing
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:52:57 pm

How are you getting the video off the DVD?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Alberto Moreno
on Aug 13, 2011 at 10:53:18 am

Hi Jeff,

Sorry I did not answer before - (holidays round the corner)

I used MacTheRipper - the DVD is from TV shows my friend has appeared on so originally interlaced into a DVD (I don't really know what kind of compression DVD applies) - the thing is that I could just drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD onto my finder since it doesn't have any protection at all.

Ok - once I have extracted (or copied) the VIDEO_TS folder, I have used Toast to convert it to DV Pal (we are in Spain) - then to FCP 7 -> there it is perfectly in synch - I edit it and when I export it from FCP using "Export Using Quicktime Movie" or "Send to Compressor" ( I've tried all different settings with both) the result is "delayed" (lips and audio) - not terribly delayed but something is wrong!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Aug 14, 2011 at 8:48:22 pm

Alberto,

Don't use MactheRipper if it's unencrypted. Use MPEGStreamclip. Just because you can drag it to the finder, doesn't mean it's unencrypted.

It looks like you're ripping it using toast - ah, it's coming out as DV PAL...

What are your FCP sequence settings? Are you using DV PAL?

Do other DVDs exhibit this?

Best,

Jeff G

------------
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

Alberto Moreno
on Aug 15, 2011 at 12:04:55 pm

Jeff,

I have downloaded MPEGStreamclip and will be using it.

I'm using DV - Pal -> The Sequence settings are:

P.S. I also used HDV as an output from Toast instead of DV and the file size is smaller - also in FCP7 is faster since it doesn't require rendering at all (which DV does) - I have sent the edited material to Compressor from FCP and now the output is in better synch... It seems HDV is working better for me (think my idea is to use these videos for a book in a Flash site for the artist so the quality doesn't have to be the very best - however synch with the lips is important)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alberto Moreno
on Aug 16, 2011 at 11:50:51 am

Sorry I forgot to mention the HDV conversion that got better was from a DVD in which the footage was (to start with) HDV. HDV conversion from a DVD with material from TV looks terrible though...

Cheers

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:03:47 pm

Don't use HDV! You're upscaling to a very lossy codec merely to downscale later.

Also, why are you making a DV file from a lossy starting point? I'd suggest uncompressed (huge) or DVCPro 50.

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

Alberto Moreno
on Aug 16, 2011 at 12:16:58 pm

Ok - I'll go for DVCPro 50 then!

(I had to start from a lossy source since I hadn't got the chance to get a better uncompressed one)

Thanks a bunch Jeff,

Cheers ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]