FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting MXF for broadcasting needs (from Broadcasting forum)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Ong
Exporting MXF for broadcasting needs (from Broadcasting forum)
on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:57:02 pm

Well, I posted it on the Broadcasting forum, and an user told me to post it here, because it is more related.
(Old thread here : http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/21/861437)

Here's the story : I have to export MXF files, with the following specs :

MXF Op1a Wrapper :

Essence : SD, Mpeg2 / 4.2.2 Bitrate 15 Mbps, Long GOP 12 (IBBP), 25i/s, interlaced (top field first), resolution : 720x576 16:9
Audio : Uncompressed PCM Wav 48kHz 16bit, 2 identical tracks, Little Endian
Misc. : TC start : 00:00:00:00, AFD tag needed in the MXF header : 16/9 _16/9, ( Ceefax datas in User-data from MPEG2 normes, and a XML file ).

I'm not very used to compression techniques (I do 3D actually), but my customer asked me for this.

I tried Episode / Episode Pro as advised in the older post, but no success.
I'm currently trying with FlipFactory and Vantage, but I can't get the good file.

I can have MXF with MPEG2 720x576, but only with 4:3 ratio (Grass Valley MXF) or MXF with MPEG2 16:9 but with 720x608 resolution.

I'm totally lost, I don't know if I'm using the right tools (FlipFactory or Vantage), they don't seem to have what I'm looking for, but I'm not a regular user, so maybe is there a way to achieve this with one of these softwares.

Thanks,

Nicolas.

Return to posts index

Nicolas Ong
Re: Exporting MXF for broadcasting needs (from Broadcasting forum)
on Aug 11, 2011 at 10:25:38 pm

OK well, not a schizophrenic reply to myself, but if it may be useful for someone, I found a part of the solution : the MXF OP1a I need is an Omneon MXF, and I managed to get one with FlipFactory.

Now I have another question : is there other softwares able to export Omneon MXF files ?

I'm not in charge of the softwares purchases in the company, and FlipFactory is kind of a big software, too big for us. We do not need all the workflow manager stuff and so one. We only need to transcode our file into MXF. I'm still looking for it, but as time passes, if someone knows and can share his knowledges, it would be wonderful.

Thanks !

Nicolas.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 12, 2011 at 12:18:38 am

Episode Pro from the same company that makes FlipFactory, Telestream. Costs $995 so it's a bit less than FlipFactory and it's cross platform.
http://www.telestream.net/episode/overview.htm
and there's a COW Episode forum.

Return to posts index

Charles Viau
on Aug 22, 2011 at 3:31:42 pm

I got the same probleme here,

i did my MXF via XDCAM export in FCP and i did one with Carbon Coder on pc.

i tought everything was great till the broadcaster tell me:

""But it has no timecode in the MXF header so it won’t cue and play on the video servers (this is really important). It has timecode elsewhere in the package and can be edited (ideally this would not be there is it can confuse closed caption insertion – relevant if the program is in the library and is subsequently played to air when captioning""

Ok, i will remove the timecode track in my stream by re-encoding the Quicktime source in mxf but ...

Im seaking a way to implement the header of the MXF to add that field ???

Anyone know the solution ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]