FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for HD video?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bauman
Compression for HD video?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:20:23 pm

Some tutorial told me that HD videos don't need to be compressed. Maybe I misunderstood, because if I didn't compress something of 40 minutes in HD, it would be too many gigabytes. However, when I do compress via a setting such as "MPEG-2 6.2Mbps 2-pass"for DVD 90 min quality, I preview it and it looks like it's lost tons of quality. What is the best setting in Apple Compressor to use for making large DVDs (up to 150 minutes of HD video max)? All the different settings and advice I've been getting leaves me confused thus far. If anyone can clear up this mystery, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

-Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compression for HD video?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 7:33:41 pm

[David Bauman] "Some tutorial told me that HD videos don't need to be compressed."

Huh? Sorry but I can't imagine any tutorial suggesting that.

[David Bauman] "However, when I do compress via a setting such as "MPEG-2 6.2Mbps 2-pass"for DVD 90 min quality, I preview it and it looks like it's lost tons of quality"

If you're going to make a DVD, welcome to the world of downconverting HD to SD. You have no choice but to lose tons of quality. There are ways to mitigate some issues but without any information I can't make any suggestions.

These two articles will give you an idea of what you're up against
http://www.xdcam-user.com/2011/03/getting-good-sd-from-an-hd-camera/

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2009/11/getting-sd-from-hd-and-the-problems-of-ov...

Basically you may have to soften the image.

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Aug 3, 2011 at 8:34:38 pm

I actually made a dvd out of this same footage the other day as a test. I literally put my footage in compressor. I don't remember the setting I used, but I literally sent it to compressor, when it finished, a dvd icon popped up at the bottom of my computer. The computer is a mac by the way, don't know if that helps. The dvd burned. When I took it out it worked on a television and it worked on the computer. And it was a relatively small file. It was forty minutes long, and it lost some but not much quality. Everywhere I'm looking everyone says that you can't make a DVD with HD footage without losing tons of quality. I lost a small bit of quality at best. All of this was a complete accident. I'm not expecting perfect, high definition Football style footage, just footage that can be put on DVD for instructional commercial use.

Is there a setting that I need to use? I didn't soften the quality either, at least not consciously before putting it through compressor. I just dragged the settings I hoped might work, and a dvd icon popped up as soon as the compression was done and a dvd began to burn.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 4, 2011 at 6:40:18 am

Try this in Compressor
File/New Batch From Template
and select the Create DVD icon
Click Choose
Then add your source file
Submit

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Aug 4, 2011 at 4:57:16 pm

Thank you so much. The DVD burned. And I see what you mean about needing to soften it. I didn't view the last one on a 27 inch screen, but the resolution begins to fall apart when I viewed it in that size. Otherwise, on a moderately sized screen though, it didn't lose too much quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]