FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah Smith
Compression for web
on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:40:17 pm

I'm having some issues with playback through a website that I'm encoding videos for. The videos don't play until they are fully buffered while the other videos that were previously encoded by someone else buffer and play at the same time like they should. The videos are playing through a quicktime player on the site and the website coder assures me that its on my end. File sizes for each clip are around 5-7mb and have a bit rate of 1500kbps at H264. I opened up the info window through Quicktime on my encoded video and the original and they both have the same codec, similar bit rates, etc.

When I export from Compressor, I select optimized for streaming but that still doesn't seem to help. Anyone?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compression for web
on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:54:30 pm

[Micah Smith] "The videos don't play until they are fully buffered while the other videos that were previously encoded by someone else buffer and play at the same time like they should."

moov atom issue.

[Micah Smith] "When I export from Compressor, I select optimized for streaming but that still doesn't seem to help."

But as you described you are not streaming. You are not using a streaming server. You are using http which is progressive download. You want Fast Start when creating .mov for web viewing.

People (everyone) please stop using "streaming" when you mean "progressive download." It's a peeve of mine. It creates confusion. If you are not deploying from a streaming server you are using progressive download. The modern exception might be http live streaming which actually is kinds/sorta using little progressive download segments/packets.

Return to posts index

Micah Smith
on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:03:57 am

How do I resolve the "moov atom" issue? Can I do it through Compressor? It acts as an index yes?

I also only selected "streaming" after trying other options that didn't work. I usually never use that option anyway as I agree that it is not truly "streaming".

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:06:36 am

In the Encoder tab select Fast Start in the Streaming pull down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]