FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing without Intermediate Codecs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Connors
Editing without Intermediate Codecs
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:51:28 pm

Hi there,

I hope this question is in the right part of the forum.

Simple Question:
What is the best software for natively editing H.264 .mp4s?

The Background:
I work on a daily TV show. We stream live in with Adobe Media Encoder, so I get .flv files of the show on the fly. We also upload segments to youtube for viral purposes. Until recently I'd been using Moyea FLV Editor to carve up the segments, out of the full FLV file. You don't get frame accurate editing but it's there is NO encoding time either.

We want to podcast... so we got our hands on the new Black Magic h.264 encoder. It works great and we're getting beautiful highres MP4s at the speed of light. However, [this is where I need your help] I haven't found a good way to segment them without going to an intermediate codec. If I'm going to an intermediate... Why bother with the Black Magic Encoder. I'd like to be able to cut them up on B frames the way Moyea does with the FLVs.

I managed to do a quick cut and save in MPEGstreamclip. Plays back great locally but after YouTube compression I get audio synch issues. Which I imagine is a result of cutting on A frames.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Editing without Intermediate Codecs
on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:29:10 pm

[Ben Connors] "What is the best software for natively editing H.264 .mp4s? "

Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X.

It will reencode on export though. Generally I would not recommend editing GOP and then uploading to a site that will recompress. Sync issues are common in those cases.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]