FORUMS: list search recent posts

compression for broadcast

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gene torres
compression for broadcast
on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:18:35 pm

I have the job of preparing B-roll video to be sent out to a few dozen tv stations for a later broadcast. The clips are in the 2-3 minute range each. The stations we are working with are supposed to log on our website and download the needed clips. The challenge is finding a format a variety of different setups can read and play back. Also making the clips small enough for download, but suitable for broadcast. I had originally thought a quicktime with H.264 would work, but there appear to be issues with compatibility and render time on import. Does MPEG-2 work for editing and broadcast? Any ideas you kind folks might have would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: compression for broadcast
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:09:25 pm

MPEG-2 Program or Transport stream is common for broadcast use. Some may want 4:2:2 color space but 4:2:0 might be OK. Some station can now accept H.264 but they have to tell you that. Can they screen the files on your site before downloading? In the past I think some wanted low quality MPEG1 to download and check before committing to higher quality download.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:11:21 pm

You might want to look at Pathfire and get their specs as a guide.
http://www.pathfire.com/productsapplications.html

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:16:08 am

Definitely check with them for specs. My job is to edit promos, commercials and broll for a station in town. They could not use higher quality QT stuff (ProRes for example, which I normally use), so they ended up having me use H.264. Bother them until they tell you, otherwise its your fault in the end. Its up to you, but that's what I had to do.

Return to posts index

Herbert Jay Lao
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:28:53 am

Check the required compression settings in the network first, whenever I send footages in the station I usually send prores or prores hq, but it really depends on the network where you will send the footages

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]