FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting to Avid from FCP via .m2t

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Gibbons
Exporting to Avid from FCP via .m2t
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:16:19 am

Hey all,

We're trying out a new tapeless workflow to get our two shows ready for broadcast. We currently edit in FCP in ProRes 422, export a ProRes from there, use Compressor to encode that as Avid DNxHD and drop it off at the local closed-captioning studio. They work completely in Avid 3.x on Windows XP. That's worked okay so far, but our closed-captioning guy charges us for the time it takes to import that DNxHD. That's been adding up.

He's suggested we give him an .m2t file -- which Compressor can make just fine. He says it can be brought into Avid without a problem. Only problem is, Avid chokes on that file, saying it's unable to read the MPEG file. I've tried playing with the default preset in Compressor but nothing seems to help.

Has anyone here had experience exporting to Avid from Final Cut Pro or has an idea for a better codec?

Thanks!
Max

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Exporting to Avid from FCP via .m2t
on Jul 9, 2011 at 6:19:14 pm

Perhaps Avid 3.x is looking for very specific settings along with the .m2t file. HDV files are often .m2t but not all .m2t files may conform to HDV specs.

I certainly wouldn't wan to use an MPEG-2 Transport Stream conforming to HDV specs as a intermediary file. DNxHD might cost more but it may be worth the expense. I can't speak to anyone's business model but if they're charging more for DNxHD I'd recommend they use the funds to update their Avid. I believe Avid MC 5.5.2 can run on XP SP3.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:44:37 pm

The problem is, even with DNxHD, it's going to take 1.25 real time or more.

How much is this costing you per year? It might be worth purchasing MC 5.5 (cross grade is like $995), importing your final work directly into media composer, and then give him a project + the MXF file. That should take 5 seconds to 'be available' on his machine.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Jason Livingston
on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:55:10 pm

Hi Max,
Sounds like a pretty convoluted way to get your show closed captioned. You might want to find a caption studio (such as CPC, or many others) who uses CPC's MacCaption software which works natively with FCP (and Avid, and many other workflows). It depends on what format you need to deliver in the end, but there is probably a much simpler and more cost effective way to do it.

Feel free to contact me or check out our website if you'd like more info.

Best regards,

Jason Livingston
CPC Closed Captioning

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]