FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD in 720p

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Calam
DVD in 720p
on Jun 27, 2011 at 5:51:35 pm

I have been having trouble exporting a video into .m2v that is 1280 by 720 using Compressor. My source footage is 720p, but when I export it using one of the DVD presets, the result in always 720 by 480. Is there anyway I can exporting it into 720p, or should I use a completely different format?

Laustinart

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: DVD in 720p
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:54:01 am

Austin,

All DVDs are 720x480 (NTSC.)

You can build a 720p MPEG2 file, you can build a 720p m2v file - but a DVD is always 720x480 (yes, even widescreen/anamorphic).

Which brings us to the question: Why are you trying to build a 720p M2V file?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Austin Calam
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:19:57 pm

The Reason I was trying to build a 720p m2v file, was because I wanted to enhance the quality of the video, but now I know that is not the way to do it. Therefore, what IS the best way to enhance the quality of a m2v file?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:11:28 pm

Well, the only way to improve the quality of a DVD is to throw more data at it (a higher data rate, yielding a larger file.) There are a couple of other methods - but it's not going to significantly make it look better when blown up on a HD screen.

Either BluRay DVD or a different delivery method will let you access the full high definition information.

Best,

Jeff G

------------
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

Austin Calam
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:02:17 pm

OK, so how would I go about adding a Higher data rate to a M2V in Apple's Compressor?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:32:03 pm

In compressor click on the encoder tab of the inspector. Rate is set there.

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

Austin Calam
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:42:55 pm

Ok, So how high can I go without running into problems on the bit rate minimum and maximum settings?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:47:33 pm

560/# min = max average data rate. That's the general formula with AC3 audio.

How much footage do you have?

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

Austin Calam
on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:30:14 pm

"560/#"??? I don't quite understand, the highest I can go on the "average"(I meant "average" not "minimum" on my last post) and "maximum" bit rate is 9.0 for m2v. I Have an hour and a half video that I'm trying to covert. Would the HD DVD setting work better that the SD DVD setting in the inspector?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:41:59 am

For MPG2 on an SD DVD. 560 divided by the number of minutes.

90 minutes? 560/90 = 6.3333

Maximum should be (at most) 8mb. The Apple 90 minute preset is already at this value.

Unfortunately the HD DVD spec is dead; If you want High definition on an optical disc, you're going to have to build a BluRay disc from compressors Template choices.

You can build a BluRay structure on a RED STANDARD DVD - and some blu ray players will recognize it. No SD players will if you build this. Additionally, you'll need a dual layer blank for 30 min.

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

Austin Calam
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:16:40 pm

Ok, Thanks for all your help!

-Laustinart

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]